Building a Rangie into a reliable vehicle.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJMyerz

Adventurer
Reaction score
I used too own a disco and got rid of it because of the many problems it had.

I find myself looking at early-mid 90's range rover swb and I am curious if these can be built into a reliable DD and light trail vehicle.

I have seen these trucks for roughly $3500 on average here in the NW and that leaves $3-4k extra too put into the vehicle.

I find two ways to ago about this and I would like to hear your thoughts on this subject.

Option 1 - Full chevy drivetrain swap from BCB, $10k too expensive right now.

Option 2:

Motor: If I am correct many parts from the original buick motor the 3.9 was derrived from are able to switch over the the range motor. My thought is too have a shop rebuild one of these with more reliable parts. How much this will cost? I have no idea at this point. Also address common problems like cooling.

ABS: I know this is another sore spot among Rovers, is it possible too remove it alltogether? I'd rather not have it.

Transfer: Get the LT230 and the BCB part time conversion. Less wear and tear on the drivetrain overall and better fuel economy.

Other: upgrade to OME suspension, 265s and standard armor.

Any input on the feasability of these ideas and cost would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Justin Myers

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Justin, basically the Disco and RR are the same (basics anyway) the LT230 conversion is not a bad idea, but still you are going to have similar issues with a RR as you did with your disco if it was not maintained well. Maintenance is the key to long life with a British vehicle.

Rust is the big issue with an older RR. Tailgate and sils under doors.

D

disco1

Leave the engine the way it is. If you consider more reliable parts then you will be looking at aftermarket, cranks, forged pistons etc and by the time your finished, the chevy motor will look cheap by comparison.
I don't know why there seems to be a dislike for ABS brakes. I off-road with them on one of my discos and I have never had an issue with them (Is this problem a case of, I've heard somewhere, where someone didn't like them). I used to be on a LR forum where suddenly everyone started posting questions and answers about valve problems. It gets very contagious.
My suggestion is leave your RR the way it is. Change out the springs, because by now, if they are original, they need changing.
Land Rover vehicles are very good cars. Sure, you get the occasional lemon, and forums such as this are full of complaints, however, if you want to see endless streams of complaints, go visit any other non LR forum (you'll be glad to come back here).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM