Bushing leak, urgency of replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So the front passenger side, rear lower control arm bushing is leaking its oil. Just noticed pulling into the driveway today. It is an 08 with ~104K miles. I dont think they have been replaced before (bought the car at 92K). I've been thinking I need to replace the bushings for a while, just haven't gotten around to it. Has there been anymore consensus on the polybushes?

What I am also wondering is whether there is a risk of major damage driving back and forth to work until I have time to get it to the shop? Is it super urgent to get it in asap?

thanks

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes there is risk of damage to the control arm if you don't replace them immediately. The up side is you will probably just buy new control arms for replacement anyway. Don't let them tell you the ball joints are good as they will probably only last another year or so (My experience anyway) Best thing is just to replace both upper and lower arms with new. I have poly bushes the second set of oe rubber lasted me a whopping 16k miles. The poly's are definitely harsher on the road then the rubber. Ride will be more truck like.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would you recommend doing all the bushings for all four corners? what should of number should i expect from an indy shop? dont think i have time to try and conquer this one solo.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also, dont the new arms come with the stock bushings in them?

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the new arms come with new rubber bushes and ball joints. You would reuse your existing arms if you fit poly bushes. I wouldn't worry to much about the rear should be able to get a couple more years outta those but not a bad idea to have them check them for you. I have no idea on price as I did my own but I would guesstimate 2kish.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you did a bit of a write up on your success with the poly's. cant find it at the moment. Still a positive experience with the polybushes? I don't really care about having a firmer ride, would actually probably refer it. Just would be hesitant for any other negative effects/unintended consequences.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rumor has it the RR sport arms have stiffer bushings and may be a better option for some.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the indy shop i go to in denver hadn't done any poly bush installs before. decided to go with the standard procedure of just replacing the arms with new bushings already included. for the two front lowers it ran around 1K. For dropping it off in the morning and picking it up in the afternoon, pretty pleased.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90