Buyers Checklist!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Forum - I am looking to buy a '06-'07 LR3 and was wondering if anyone has a LR3 buyers checklist? Just looking for ideas what to look for before I sign the papers. I did do a search but never found anything worthwhile. Thanks!

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a nice 06 LR3 SE 4.0L with 34K miles and went through the same process you're probably going through now. I don't really have a check list but for me the biggest issues were prior ownership, maintenance and warranty. I found a well maintained, one owner LR3 (verified through both Autocheck and Carfax) at a LR Dealership in North Carolina. I wouldn't normally pursue a dealership deal but with this particular vehicle I think it makes sense as I don't want any issues concerning the warranty. The dealer processed the "change of ownership" directly with LR so I have no worries there. I still have 11 months / 16K of factory, bumper to bumper warranty which to me is essential for this vehicle. Plus the dealer gave me a 100,000 mile / 48 month powertrain warranty ($300 ded) good at any LR dealer. It took a while to find and I had to drive 650 miles to pick it up but, for $21,900 I'm quite satisfied. Good luck on your hunt!

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bscmich ! Wow! You got a great deal on your LR3! I would drive 650 miles too if I was you. I
am not the biggest fan of buying used cars from dealers either. Most of them here in Colorado have the most selection I am finding. I did find a 07 HSE at a Kia dealership. But do I really want a car from a Kia dealership? The thought kinda scares me.
I know atlease a LR dealership will answer my questions.

Thanks again for the advice!

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a link to a summary of issues and service items I had encountered over the first 50K mile of ownership. It may give you an idea of some items to look for: http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14781

Keep in mind that many of the issues encountered were specific to MY2005, and were well sorted by MY2006 and beyond. I would have no hesitation to get a 2006 or 2007 LR3, so good luck in your search.

At a minimum, you should check tire condition and brake pads as these tend to be some of the more expensive regular wear/tear items.

Last edited:

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be pretty confident in buying from a LR dealership vs. another dealership which is just going to change the oil, look at the tires and clean it up.

From what I have read on these forums common problems are the air suspension sensors and compressors. Leaking sunroofs due to clogged drainage. Also, batteries that are near the end of their lifespan will give you a number of faults and warnings when you first start the vehicle.

Where in Colorado are you located? I am moving to Colorado Springs in less than a month there are a few other members on here that live there as well.

dragan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jack mac
* Clock spring replaced twice. Once at around 5K miles, second at 45K miles due to recall

Can you please explain more about clock spring. What issue did you have?

thanks

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The clock spring is part of the steering wheel inner workings. Was making some creaking noises while turning the wheel, so the dealer replaced it.

Later, it was replaced a 2nd time for under a safety recall.

As I understand it, the clock spring is what allows the wheel to rotate while maintaining the electrical connections which pass through it.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were shopping for an LR3 I'd hold out for an '08; I think that was the best year personally. I'd look hard for one with the HD Package as well, unless I was SURE I wasn't going off-road.

I know I know...the LR3 can do nearly as well without the locker and all that; but if you're shopping and can be patient, it's worth the $650.

davidfkon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 08 . . . got it from dealership w/6K on it in APR . . . donn't drive THAT much . . . now 13K.
no major issues and LOVIN' the beast

Learth

Reaction score
BSCMICH, the dealer could care less who owns the car when it comes to the warranty. All that matters is that the car in service date is less than 4 years old and less than 50k miles. Don't buy a car from the dealer just to ensure the warranty gets transfered. It's irrelevant. In fact, I can't think of any reason to buy a used car from the dealer. All you're doing is paying more than you need to.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo