Buyers Checklist!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bscmich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with you Learth, generally you're paying more than you need to with a dealer transaction. However, occasionally a deal comes up that may make sense. Depending on how long they have had the vehicle in inventory, the time of month or year, the salesperson, etc. In my case I spent several months on Craig's List, eBay Motors, AutoTrader and looked at multiple wholesalers. At the end of the day, I did find what I felt was a strong deal. Also, the dealer found very competitve financing which can be a little tricky on a 3 year old vehicle plus in my wife's name (stay at home mom). Your right about the warranty but you know some dealer service centers these days, seems like they are not always looking out for your best interests.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would be pretty confident in buying from a LR dealership vs. another dealership which is just going to change the oil, look at the tires and clean it up.

From what I have read on these forums common problems are the air suspension sensors and compressors. Leaking sunroofs due to clogged drainage. Also, batteries that are near the end of their lifespan will give you a number of faults and warnings when you first start the vehicle.

Where in Colorado are you located? I am moving to Colorado Springs in less than a month there are a few other members on here that live there as well.

Thanks for the input! I did capture the clogged drains, batteries, tires and air suspension issues. Man sounds like my '04 VW Touareg. I had man of the same issues and by '07-'08 they were pretty solid trucks. Not my '04 unfortunately.

We live in Littleton , CO just southwest of downtown Denver next to the foothills. Love living here and exploring the great Rocky Mountains! Once I pull the trigger we should meet up! Maybe take a day trip to the mountains! Where do you live now?

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I were shopping for an LR3 I'd hold out for an '08; I think that was the best year personally. I'd look hard for one with the HD Package as well, unless I was SURE I wasn't going off-road.

I know I know...the LR3 can do nearly as well without the locker and all that; but if you're shopping and can be patient, it's worth the $650.

I just started noticing some '08's hitting the used car lot's now. Priced pretty well. Let me ask you this. I noticed that many of the '08's either had the black lacquer or walnut wood trim pieces. Was this standard in '08 or were these options ?

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I did capture the clogged drains, batteries, tires and air suspension issues. Man sounds like my '04 VW Touareg. I had man of the same issues and by '07-'08 they were pretty solid trucks. Not my '04 unfortunately.

We live in Littleton , CO just southwest of downtown Denver next to the foothills. Love living here and exploring the great Rocky Mountains! Once I pull the trigger we should meet up! Maybe take a day trip to the mountains! Where do you live now?

Well the price you pay for some of the nicer European brands is the electronic gremlins. I have had about 3 VWs, a Mercedes and the Rover. Same story with all of them, hit the heated seat button and a window starts going up and down, etc... An ongoing joke on the VW forum was to carry around black tape so you didnt have to stare at the check engine light. Still has a much different feel than driving a Honda.

I am stationed at Ft. Knox, KY right now, I am getting stationed at Ft. Carson, CO in Feb. Some members are already talking about meeting up and doing a trail or two check the regional forums.

RvDUB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the price you pay for some of the nicer European brands is the electronic gremlins. I have had about 3 VWs, a Mercedes and the Rover. Same story with all of them, hit the heated seat button and a window starts going up and down, etc... An ongoing joke on the VW forum was to carry around black tape so you didnt have to stare at the check engine light. Still has a much different feel than driving a Honda.

I am stationed at Ft. Knox, KY right now, I am getting stationed at Ft. Carson, CO in Feb. Some members are already talking about meeting up and doing a trail or two check the regional forums.

I hear what your saying about the European Brands. I have a a few VW's and Audi's in the stable. The electrical Gremlins are part of the build :biggrin:

We all know that European cars are like the best girlfriends you have ever had! You have to spend a lot of cash to keep her running right! And if you do she is the best ride you have ever had. :cool: If you don't spend anything then she is the biggest pain the the rear!

Good luck to you in your move! I will check out the regional forums and see what's happing!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink