Cape Hatteras joins the list of beaches now charging to drive your LR3....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, this isn't LR3 specific, but I predominately know this group and have seen several posts over the years of east coast LR3 owners enjoying beach driving in Hatteras...

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/01/hatteras-beach-drivers-will-have-pay-fee-watch-video

Starting next month, a drive onto the beach at Cape Hatteras National Seashore will require more than a capable vehicle and a little sense of adventure.

Motorists also will need to buy a permit.

The National Park Service announced Friday that rules designed to limit beach access and protect the environment will require drivers to pay between $90 and $150 for an annual permit, with a weekly permit going for about one-third of that. Visitors also will be required to watch a seven-minute educational video at one of the designated visitor centers.

More and more beaches are doing it. It's a pain. Sure, if it is your local beach than a yearly fee isn't that much of a burden, but if you drive around all these really add up. Just in my geographic area, there is a $90 fee to drive on Assateague, a higher fee to drive on Delaware beaches (and you have to be fishing at the time), and now Hatteras. I know there are several others I'm missing...

More info on OBPA;
http://obpa-nc.org/joomla//images/uploads/obpa map flyer.png

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta get their money from somewhere . . . wish I had a beach to play on . . . :argh:

goinsurfin

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip to Amelia Island FL in March. Has anyone driven on this beach before? I read that a permit is also required for non locals.. Since I don't have a winch, I'm thinking I should at least have a recovery strap so someone else can pull me out- if this actually happens. In addition, I'll air down but what's the ideal tire pressure for 19" wheels on sand? Any additional interest points to note? Thanks.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hah. . .I grew up there. I'm not sure what the current beach policy is, but you are probably going to be limited to the non-resort areas in some way (Plantation, Ritz). If you stick around the middle of the island, you shouldn't have to worry about airing down. Most of the sand around the entry areas are packed pretty good and the sand there is generally not soft below the high water mark. If you want to play in soft stuff, go to the very southern tip of the island and drive around to the ocean side. That area is going to be very narrow, very soft. If you get stuck in a rising tide, kiss your LR3 goodbye (seen it happen).

goinsurfin

Reaction score
Hah. . .I grew up there. I'm not sure what the current beach policy is, but you are probably going to be limited to the non-resort areas in some way (Plantation, Ritz). If you stick around the middle of the island, you shouldn't have to worry about airing down. Most of the sand around the entry areas are packed pretty good and the sand there is generally not soft below the high water mark. If you want to play in soft stuff, go to the very southern tip of the island and drive around to the ocean side. That area is going to be very narrow, very soft. If you get stuck in a rising tide, kiss your LR3 goodbye (seen it happen).

Hey thanks for the advice. My wife has a conference there I thought I'd do some exploring with the kids while she is busy. I believe we'll be at the Ritz Carlton. Any cool restaurants or specific sites to check out too?

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey thanks for the advice. My wife has a conference there I thought I'd do some exploring with the kids while she is busy. I believe we'll be at the Ritz Carlton. Any cool restaurants or specific sites to check out too?

If you have kids, definitely go to Fort Clinch. It's a great place to wander around. It's a huge civil war era fort. The beach is the big attraction, obviously, but the water will probably be chilly this time of year. Restaurants are all over the map, but there's a bunch of good ones in the downtown area. Sliders (mid-Island on the beach) is a great beach access and a fun place to take the kids. If you are feeling adventurous, Talbot island to the south is a great nature preserve. Cumberland Island (ferry only) to the North is an odd slice of history with a bunch of Gatsby era homes formerly owned by the big NE families. The fishing there is great. Flats-style and offshore/inshore. Take your pick

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, just because other places charge isn't a reason to allow this one to go through, but I hear ya.

The NPS didn't used to have any problems patrolling this beach or need additional revenue/controls to do so. Then the Audobon Society filed a lawsuit because any group in this country can sue for any ******** they want, the NPS was backed in to a corner and this is the result. For the past few years they have had to hire extra staff just to enforce the restrictive guidelines that came as a result of the lawsuit. It all sucks.

http://obpa-nc.org/joomla/
http://www.preservebeachaccess.org/

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA