Catalytic Converter Heat Shield Loose and Vibrating

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wheeler

Reaction score
In the last week I've noticed a new sound. Seems to be coming from underneath the passenger floor area and it sounds like a wind flapping vibration rattle... it starts about 35 MPH goes away, starts again.

Coincidentally I had LOF service done about a week ago. I stopped by today and asked them to take a look. They told me the heat shield over the catalytic converter has come partially loose and suggested any exhaust shop could spot weld this back together.

Any thoughts or experience on this one? I searched here and did not immediately find a discussion. Thanks.

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When this happened with a previous car, I put a washer under the bolt head. Worked like a charm.

wheeler

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just following up to this thread. I have not pursued a remedy yet but I'm still being plagued by a vibration sound seeming to come from under the passenger floor. It commences at 20 to 30 MPH and continues at highway speed and it only occurs with throttle-- let your foot off the gas and the buzzing tops.

Looking underneath the vehicle this morning I noticed some water drips coming from the edge of this screen located in the center of vehicle. Would this be condensation from the air conditioning? I noticed one bolt is missing and the cover is somewhat loose... I wonder if this protective cover could be the source of the vibration? Although it's not under the passenger floor and I'm not sure a loose cover's vibration buzzing sound would stop when you let off the gas.

What is this cover called and where would I get a replacement bolt? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 52

catman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going on slightly vague memory, but that looks like the transmission heat shield that I had to remove to replace my shifter assembly cable. If I recall there was only 1 bolt even though there were two holes.

Perhaps all you need to do is tighten them up?

Attachments

• Transmission Shield JPG.jpg
    Transmission Shield JPG.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 90

wheeler

Reaction score
Thanks, Catman. I spent a little more time with the rattling noise this afternoon. I don't think it's coming from this cover after all.

It sounds like a tinny, light metal rattling, which is pronounced with acceleration then subsides. The sound appears to be coming from underneath the floor at the passenger footwell or in or under the passenger front seat.

(Attempting to move or wiggle the passenger seat manually does not reproduce the sound, BTW.)

Here's a link to a short audio recording:

Rattling Sound

Anybody heard this before?

Rubber Cow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for kicks, I'd suggest that you check the plastic exterior trim on the A-pillars, just forward odd each front door frame. They're known to break their mounts and make rattling noises that are difficult to locate.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM