Center Differential?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a question on how the center differential works.

We are up in Breckenridge this weekend at our friend's condo - as I was parking on Friday night, I pulled pretty deep in to a snow bank to make sure the people behind me could back out easily. The front tires were in snow about 12" deep, with the rear tires on hardpacked snow. The parking lot is totally flat.

The next morning when we went to back out, we were stuck (tires spinning). So I put it in GGS and sawed at the wheel - still unable to get out. I turned off DSC thinking that may be killing my momentum - didn't help. I tried 4low - still unable to get out. I did happen to notice though that the rear tires spun a LOT and the front tires didn't spin very much (some, but not nearly as much as the rears) - I figured it would automatically engage the center differential, but it certainly didn't seem to.

Here is my question:

Does the center differential only lock when you are moving forward? I was in reverse trying to back out, so I was guessing it maybe wouldn't lock if you were trying to reverse.

How about other tips? I was pretty surprised that I had to get a shovel to dig out around the front tires - I figured we would be able to make it out fairly easy. I've read a few things that make it sound like mud/ruts may have been a better choice for deep snow (GGS is apparently more for shallow, slick covering on top of a hard surface).

A few more details - we have a basically brand new set of General Grabber AT2s on the car (pretty aggressive tread for an AT). We also do NOT have the HD package.

Thanks in advance!
Rich

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing to note - we do have the navigation system, and when I put it in offroad mode you can definitely see when the center diff locks. Unfortunately, I forgot to try that last night :hmpf:

-Rich

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rich,

I'm not sure how that could've happened, but it shouldn't have. I usually put it in 4-Lo as soon as I think I'd need it or when the surface I'm driving on deteriorates. I never used to do that...it's pretty much after going to 3 LR Experience driving school sessions that it's become a habit.

My guess is that you may've been a little careless at first thinking that the snow wouldn't present any challenge to your LR3, and then you dug a hole and packed the snow putting all your tires on ice.

Sound plausible?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sucks! It is embarrassing when you're 50K offroad monster gets stuck in the flats!!!! The first time I took mine on the beach I got stuck. (followed dealer advice to not reduce air pressure) ...dropping tire pressure got me out just fine, but I still gratefully took advice from a guy in a $1000 rusted out bronco on getting my overpriced wheels unstuck! LOL

Your case is a pickle, though. It was clearly putting most of the power to the rears. I wonder if you had snow packed up under the belly that froze firm over night. That could have taken much of the needed weight off your wheels. ? You probably already had the car set at offroad height when you worked up into the snow. I did get stuck the same way once, but it was a different SUV a long time ago. (snow packed under car, found myself stuck the next morning)

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rich,

I'm not sure how that could've happened, but it shouldn't have. I usually put it in 4-Lo as soon as I think I'd need it or when the surface I'm driving on deteriorates. I never used to do that...it's pretty much after going to 3 LR Experience driving school sessions that it's become a habit.

My guess is that you may've been a little careless at first thinking that the snow wouldn't present any challenge to your LR3, and then you dug a hole and packed the snow putting all your tires on ice.

Sound plausible?
I think you are dead on - I made a couple mistakes by not reacting sooner to the fact that the car was stuck. I kept making it worse (thinking I could easily drive out of it) - if I had put it in to one of the special modes up front, with four low, and started sawing at the wheel immediately, I think I would have made it out fine. I also buried it pretty good when I pulled in the evening before (even had the front tires spin some then) - I should have known that things were going to be d-icy (couldn't help the pun :biggrin: ) the next morning.

On a more positive note, I was able to make myself feel better after stopping on a steep incline (covered in ice/snow) where a WRX had just slid in to a snowbank (not going fast at all - they were fine, just overcooked the corner) - I was able to get moving up it again with zero drama - the same couldn't be said for the cars behind me (you could see them struggling to get going again).

My faith has been restored - clearly it wasn't the LR3's fault, it was operator error :biggrin:

-Rich

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if you had snow packed up under the belly that froze firm over night. That could have taken much of the needed weight off your wheels. ? You probably already had the car set at offroad height when you worked up into the snow.

I thought about that, and I did dig out the front some while I was digging out the front tires. But I think it was more that I had dug myself in to quite a hole trying to get out before I reacted.

-Rich

zdas04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the moral of the story is that if you are going to use your truck as a snowplow, put it in access mode first.

David

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost forgot about my original question - does anyone know if the center diff will lock in reverse?

Thanks,
Rich

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only time I have noticed mine to be locked is when I'm in rock crawl mode,
frontwards and backwards.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads