Check Engine, P0447 Code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I've got an intermittent (well more like I shut it off and it comes back shortly after) CEL, giving me the P0447 "Evap Vent Control Circuit Open" (or something very close to that) code on the IID tool. I've done a good bit of searching, and it seems that the consensus is a dirty/bad/otherwise screwed up solenoid on the EVAP system canister, though I haven't been able to find anyone with an LR3 that has reported having or solving this issue. Best I've found are a few Disco IIs and one Jag that have had the issue, and resolved it by cleaning a few connections.

Has anyone here experienced this? If so, how did you resolve? Did cleaning up connections work, or did you have to replace some parts?

Thanks,
Paul

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post a quick update, since I'm still dealing with this...

Checked the wiring and plug for the DMTL pump and cleaned everything up, per a few suggestions from other forums - no luck.

Took the truck to the dealership and asked them to diagnose. Result was "you need a new charcoal canister. It's $748.19 (or something like that) including labor." No thanks. Found the charcoal canister online for $67.85, genuine part. Ordered and installed - no luck.

Spoke to the folks I ordered the canister from, and they think its probably the DMTL pump itself. Ordered one of those the other day, it arrived this afternoon. I'll be putting it on this evening and hoping for the best.

Paul

RoverGuy7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most likely is the pump itself, not terribly uncommon. The dealer would have been 'right' though, as a new charcoal canister comes with a new DMTL pump attached.

pvangura

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another update:

Replaced the DMTL pump last night, still no good. I tore into the RF wheel well also, and found some corrosion caused by what appears to be battery fluid sloshing about on the trail (definitely switching my starting battery over to AGM soon). Removed the battery and engine bay fuse box, then neutralized everything with a baking soda solution. Checked the wiring (at least everything that was accesible) for any issues, and didn't see anything bare, fraying, or otherwise out of the ordinary. Finished up by removing the nut on the ground stud in the wheel well, cleaning stuff up a bit with a wire brush, reassembly, and a hard reset of the battery.

Damn CEL light is still on. So what do I do next? I'm reluctant to go back to the dealer, since I'll probably just end up paying $150/hr for them to chase a problem for a week, then have them tell me I "need a new wiring loom, its about $4,000". If anyone knows of a good independent in the Pittsburgh, PA area, I would be more open to that. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Paul

jayrod422

Reaction score
Hey Paul,

Did you ever figure this out? I am getting this same issue with my 06 HSE and cant figure it out for the life of me. I am also in the Pittsburgh area and called around to some local shops and to Mr. Rahals establishment. No one can give me a definite answer for what it is and just wants me to throw parts at the problem.

7thstorm

Reaction score
could be a bad maybe leaking gas cap??

try to replace one its the cheapest way to do

jayrod422

Reaction score
I finally figured out how to solve this issue. Per the Land Rover tech docs P0447 means that the ground from the DMTL pump is cut. If you follow the wire harness up the front right of the vechicle there is a plug behind the right front wheel liner. The wires there were rubbing along the frame. The red wire is the ground and it was totally disconnected from the harness. I spliced in a new wire and drove around for the past two days and the error hasn't came back.

opfire

Reaction score
jayrod,
I am going crazy with the same problem, i pulled everything from the fender well, there is one large cluster of wires (approx 20) and four black wires that a grounds. no wires look bad. still have a problem with the pump not shutting off and the P0447 code.
any other suggestions on what the exact wire is?
tim

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV