Clueless Girl Needs Help from Landy Man (hvac and software)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, first off, if you have to service the trans, don't take it to dealer except for software updates. AAMCO rebuilt my trans for about $4500, including new shift solenoids. I hear that local dealer only puts in rebuilt trans, and most dealers do the same. My trans was rebuilt at about $130k, so it could be that, depending on how hard previous driver used the vehicle. And if it's leaking, all the more reason to bite the bullet. I feel for you, but owning a Land Rover is expensive in more ways than one. It steals your heart, and then steals your wallet? ;)

zorizane

Reaction score
Well, first off, if you have to service the trans, don't take it to dealer except for software updates. AAMCO rebuilt my trans for about $4500, including new shift solenoids. I hear that local dealer only puts in rebuilt trans, and most dealers do the same. My trans was rebuilt at about $130k, so it could be that, depending on how hard previous driver used the vehicle. And if it's leaking, all the more reason to bite the bullet. I feel for you, but owning a Land Rover is expensive in more ways than one. It steals your heart, and then steals your wallet? ;)

Here is a little test I did that someone said to try. What are your thoughts on the outcome?

Ok. So here are the results. Did this twice now. Went over speed bumps and had the usual noise each time. Went into command shift and then it does "not" make the noise any more. Also, does not seem to do the lurching either. (would have to test it from that standpoint more to be sure on that one) As far as from a starting position does it ever make the noise without speed bumps involved. In general no. But there are a few lights where the road is a bit uneven that it has done it a few times at take off. Also, after speed bumps to get out of that parking lot is a light. So take off from that light it does it after having already gone over the dozens of speed bumps. I am curious to hear what you think any of this means. Command Shift vs: Auto Shift making noise then not making noise. Oh also, after command shift I put back into auto and went around the bumps again and then doesn't do it any more. Same thing second day. Auto shift = noise then Command shift = no noise then back to auto shift = noise stays gone. For that time only. Later it is back to doing it.

blackadder

Reaction score
My 2006 LR3 did same thing. The most annoying thing was the downshift, very hard and really felt like the drivetrain or tranny was damaged. This was also occuring after I just bought the vehicle.

I was convinced it was the rear end and drained it and found a few shavings and thought I had been screwed. Well company I bought from told me to take it to shop and see what they say......they ended up paying for a new rear end in my LR3.

I get the car back and you know what ..... still does it. Took it back to rover shop and they said to take it to dealer for software updates etc. to the car/tranny.

I did and that fixed it.

So that would be my suggestion .... take car to different dealer and have them update everything. Like someone said the drive by wire stuff is a little lurchy sometimes but not to the extent I was experiencing.

Hope that helps!

er1c

Reaction score
zorizane, my 06 had the same hesitation issues as yours. But, after some self-diagnosis, I noticed my front differential was leaking fluid. So, I flushed the old fluid out with new fluid, and it immediately resolved all issues.

It was hard-shifting. From a stop, when I'd go, it would hesitate too. People were all telling me it was a transmission software update. But, after bringing it to the local Land Rover service center, they hooked it up to the computer and gave me a printout showing everything is up to date.

So, if I were you, I'd unbolt the protective panel under the engine and see if your diff is leaking. Here's a picture of my leaky front diff:

http: //www. d i s c o 3.co.uk/gallery/albums/userpics/23928/differential-close-up.jpg (remove spaces)

I did the repair myself and it only cost me around $50. :wink:

lex99

Reaction score
ZORIZANE!! I'm having the exact heating issue in my '06 LR3. Heat on the passenger side works great, but blows cool on the driver side and 2nd row. Please tell me, what was the actual fix?!!! Warm regards, Lex

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99