Clueless Girl Needs Help from Landy Man (hvac and software)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zorizane

Reaction score
Hi. So yes I am a girl so please forgive my lack of mechanical knowledge or terminology. Bought a 05 LR3 with 118,000 miles 2 weeks ago. Day 2: the air begins to have issues and I realize some shifting issue's. (didn't drive it really on day one) Long story since then of taking it to a few mechanics then Land Rover for a diagnoses.

Story goes like this: turn on heater and it is making a mild squealing sound intermittently and gets louder as you turn it up higher. Also, the air was blowing hot air only on the passenger side of the car from front to rear. The drivers side blows freezing cold air. Then gets worse over a weeks time and is so annoying then just shuts off and won't turn on again. When I try to turn it on it makes a small mechanical moving part kind of a noise like maybe a flap opening and then closing near glovebox but that is all and won't turn on. First mechanic says blower is bad but then removes blower and tests it and it works fine but has some play in it. Checks all fuses and says that they are fine. Says it is an electrical issue. This is a friend without any experience with Land Rovers. Next mechanic: Says it is a resistor and blower issue and changes both. Test drives it and has it blowing but as he returns minutes later it stops again. He says the blower is losing power between blower relay and fan speed module (resistor) and that they do not do electrical at his shop. Take to land rover next: they have hard time figuring out where electrical problem is coming from and can't finish the first day. They say "checked the hvac head unit and was good jumped across to where relay sits and found no power to the relay. Pulled **** fuse and it is blown. Replaced it now working but air temps are all different. Needs new evap/heater box. temp blend door is faulty."

Sooooo, my questions are if it was a fuse then why didn't mechanic one and mechanic 2 find this? So I replaced the blower and resistor when ends up being a fuse? And as far as the box, they say it is $2700 for them to replace so how can I be sure this is really the problem? Could it be something else causing the different temps? Also, if it is that wouldn't there have been some codes coming up regarding this malfunction? So far in this experience I got a lot of what seems to be "not knowing for sure" so how do I trust this heat box diagnosis? Uggggh

Next: often when push accelerator it hesitates and then jumps/lurches. Then when approaching stop toward end does a hard downshift jump/lurch. Almost got creamed one day turning left in traffic because it hesitated for so long and left me hanging in the lane of the oncoming traffic. I got onto this site researching that and over and over people say it is a software update issue and that most people had this problem corrected with the update. Sooooo Land Rover says this about that "checked updates and some available. also found the trans sleeve leaking. with the amount of miles on trans it would not benefit doing either repair or update as it could cause the trans to fail completely. recommend r&r the trans" this they say is around 9,000$.

So I have this car for 2 weeks with these issues and find this out and want to pretty much cry. I have wanted a Land Rover forever and I sure don't have 12,000$ to throw at the repairs. I am hoping to hear from some experienced people that there are other things that could be causing these issues that are less expensive and simple fixes. Any advice would be so much appreciated.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the HVAC.

But regarding the tranny, that's BS. I'd get the leak fixed. The throttle delay is normal to an extent...that's the nature of any drive by wire vehicle it seems. It annoys me a bit after driving my Jeep, but once you get used to it it's ok. There was a thread on here a few weeks back about how to do a reset on it that could help. The only thing that could **** the tranny is not getting the leak fixed!

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tell us where you're located. There might be another good shop to get second opinions from.

zorizane

Reaction score
Not sure about the HVAC.

But regarding the tranny, that's BS. I'd get the leak fixed. The throttle delay is normal to an extent...that's the nature of any drive by wire vehicle it seems. It annoys me a bit after driving my Jeep, but once you get used to it it's ok. There was a thread on here a few weeks back about how to do a reset on it that could help. The only thing that could **** the tranny is not getting the leak fixed!

Ha ha! You are so funny. I love that "drive by wire" expression! Yes I have seen several people talk about doing a hard reset. And then others saying to do the software update. I thought it odd that they said with the high miles the software update wouldn't work. I could see saying that at a certain year of the vehicle it wouldn't work but not "high miles" I was pretty sure I had seen other posts with high miles that said that it did help. So yes, I was feeling the same way about the sleeve. How could fixing it make it worse? I don't understand the mechanics of vehicles but I couldn't understand how this could make it worse.

zorizane

Reaction score
Tell us where you're located. There might be another good shop to get second opinions from.

I am in Phoenix Arizona. And yes it would be great to know of another shop that works on these other than the Land Rover dealership.

zorizane

Reaction score
Hey Guys....does anyone know how to tell if the dynamic stability is really on? I read the manual and from what I am reading it says when you first turn the key and it does the system checks the little symbol should be on but not constant? Does that mean it should be flashing if on? I have wondered about this because this thing seems to float all over the road. I had an Escalade and its program would pull you back into place if you hit any bumps and went of to the side it would whip you back where you were. This LR3 is like a nosey puppy out for a walk. Any little thing it catches it goes off onto a new path. It feels like driving a car with a lot of "play" in the wheel but there is no play in the wheel. Makes me wonder if dynamic stability or other programs that control this are on or working.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's on unless you turn it off. How's the alignment? It shouldn't be acting like puppy...it should track straight.

zorizane

Reaction score
I am in Phoenix Arizona. And yes it would be great to know of another shop that works on these other than the Land Rover dealership.

Not sure about the HVAC.

It's on unless you turn it off. How's the alignment? It shouldn't be acting like puppy...it should track straight.

Alignment is perfect. That is why I branched of looking into other reasons that it roams. So I have turned "off" the dynamic to see if a difference and no difference. It says "off" when you turn it off but yet when you turn it back on it says nothing like "on" or "activated" so you have to assume it is on? With so many other things not working I am assuming it just isn't working. I am having such a love hate relationship with this Land Rover so far. Another way to describe the feel is like if you were driving a big lifted truck with huge tires. Like you have to really pay attention to it staying in the lane. Like if you hit an bump or uneveness in the road it goes with it and follows it instead of pulling back to where you were. Or is this just another typical trait of a Landy?

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, you just assume it's on. Find some sand or snow and gun it, the light should flash.

What vehicle are you coming from? Mine drives really straight and easy, but I haven't owned a "car" since 2007. So I just might be used to it.

zorizane

Reaction score
Yeah, you just assume it's on. Find some sand or snow and gun it, the light should flash.

What vehicle are you coming from? Mine drives really straight and easy, but I haven't owned a "car" since 2007. So I just might be used to it.

Hilarious. Can totally see me gunning it in some sand :) Funny story is that I could never get a Land Rover before but the mitsubishi montero limited has the similar look so I have had 2 of those and loved them. They drive stiff and solid. The Landy is of course a much more luxurious vehicle and has the floaty drive. But I had an Escalade that had similar on track programs and it was a luxury vehicle but didn't have this feel. I feel like I should find one at a dealership and drive one like mine to see if that is just the way they feel. Tempting to burn out some frustrations in the sand though :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99