Code 12 MAF ($$$) Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

Tim_H

My 1992 RRC is showing a check engine light and the diagnostic box displayed a code 12 (MAF). Besides an expensive replacement MAF unit what should I try first? Everything seems to be running normally but the check engine light came on all of a sudden. Thanks in advance.

D

discomike

Tim,
Some people have tried to clean the coil inside the MAF, I have heard different stories on what to use. It would need to be something that does not leave a residue.
So if yours is coded, it can't hurt to lean it, might want to talk to a few shops as to the type of cleaner to use.
Also, realize that the check engine light won't turn off afterwards, you'll still have to get the code cleared. You will then either be OK or you may still have to buy some parts.
Good luck,
Mike J.

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have heard that computer cleaner for cleaning computer keyboards works well. Make sure it is fast drying.

Last edited:
J

jpackett

Just tried the computer cleanner as my Lucas 5AM MAF was dead. How about that it worked. How happy am I. I was looking at AUD$650 for a new one. Fixed it for 2 hours work and AUD$20 can of electrical contact cleaner. With the multimeter hooked up I was able to dial in the unit to the correct voltage.....sweeeeet!
Jayson

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635