Considering an LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Naw, there's nothing about the Lexus brand that moves me in any way whatsoever. I want a car with some passion. I already have a Honda Pilot. I don't need another Japanese car that makes me yawn.
I have to agree! I test drove the Lexus GX and LX before going with the LR4, but was just not into them as much. I also was thinking about the Land Cruiser, but I just was not impressed with the fit and finish in many ways and I could not see spending that kind of money on a Toyota - even though the Land Cruiser is an awesome machine and extremely reliable! That and the Lexus (same thing) were just boring to me!

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree! I test drove the Lexus GX and LX before going with the LR4, but was just not into them as much. I also was thinking about the Land Cruiser, but I just was not impressed with the fit and finish in many ways and I could not see spending that kind of money on a Toyota - even though the Land Cruiser is an awesome machine and extremely reliable! That and the Lexus (same thing) were just boring to me!

well said

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was shopping, I had narrowed it down to the Lexus GX460, Toyota 4-Runner, and the LR4 -- I wanted an off-road capable mid-sized SUV with 3rd row seats. Lexus ruled out quickly -- I absoluted hated the swing out rear door. Not to mention the tiny cargo space for an SUV that size. It was tough between the 4-Runner and the LR4. My brain said to get the 4-Runner -- much better gas mileage, better reliability, 20k cheaper... but in the end I went with my heart and got the LR4.

But again, I was shopping for an off-road capable SUV. If I wasn't planning on going off-roading, none of these would be on my list, not even the LR4. I would have a completely different list.

ce_rubicon

Reaction score
My sister had 2 Volvo's in the past great cars. I have a 97 Discovery and getting rid of it was the best thing I ever did. The issues i had were 1. wipers only worked in warm weather 2. Stalling and not starting again 3. shorted fuel injector (dealer had to call england to figure it out)4. burn out fuel pump ($400) due to running gas below 1/4 tank.
That being said I am looking at the LR4 and a few others. Right now the LR4 is in the lead but the past experience is putting a damper on the decision.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sister had 2 Volvo's in the past great cars. I have a 97 Discovery and getting rid of it was the best thing I ever did. The issues i had were 1. wipers only worked in warm weather 2. Stalling and not starting again 3. shorted fuel injector (dealer had to call england to figure it out)4. burn out fuel pump ($400) due to running gas below 1/4 tank.
That being said I am looking at the LR4 and a few others. Right now the LR4 is in the lead but the past experience is putting a damper on the decision.
Hey ce_rubicon,

I also had a late 90's Discovery and it was the WORST vehicle I have ever owned. It was a complete piece of crap. With that said, I am very impressed with the improvements in the LR4 and it really did bring me back to the Land Rover brand. I have had my LR4 for almost a year (in February 2012) and really have had no problems at all and really love the vehicle.

Don't let past experiences sway you, though there are some quirks.

Best of luck!

Regards, David

Redleg Rover

Reaction score
Land Rover Joe -
Where did you get your frame sliders? Do they affect the bottom door seal in any way? Thanks for the superb photos and positive contribution to the thread.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99