considering buying '99 Disco...few questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mhayes2344

Reaction score
I'm going to look at a '99 discovery with a known overheating issue. The only reason I'm considering buying it is because it's very cheap...though I know the repairs (which I would do myself) could become very expensive very quickly.

I spoke with the owner today and he said he believes it's a bad head gasket. He said there was "water" on the block at the back passenger side. I asked him how many times it had overheated and if so for how long before he shut it off....he said it never really overheated as he turned it off when the temp gauge started to climb.

My question is how can I tell if it is a bad head gasket or maybe clogged radiator? I don't want to touch it if the block is cracked.....any advice is greatly appreciated.

Also he mentioned he has recently replaced the fuel pump and ignition...so I'm thinking their may be more problems than just overheating.

peasterb

Reaction score
Its cheap for a reason, I have had 2 discoveries over the last 10 years and both were 2nd hand and low kms however over time both minor issues, although these were basically part replacement, water pump, belt tensioner etc, most of the work on mine I did myself, however parts are getting cheaper which does make disco's an attractive option as a 4wd, however any sign of major engine damage can only mean additional dollars on top of other costs you will inevitably be spending, brake rotors / disks, alternator, power steering box leaks, etc etc, I have only had my engine get hot once when it threw the fan belt luckily close to home, you might want to look elsewhere as there a lot of bargains turning up, this one might be a few thousand cheaper, but guaranteed you will be spending that much possibly more to solve major issues. Sorry dont know enough about the mechanical side however if engine gets hot I would imagine any leaks will show up by observing engine block, could be simple like a blocked thermostat

vegas99d1

Reaction score
There are some preliminary tests you can do, but it involves a trip to a SnapOn or Matco tools truck. You can get the tool that tests the coolant for exhaust gas (over $100) and you can also buy a coolant system pressure tester (under $100). These coupled with taking the plugs out and inspecting the tops of the pistons to see if they are squeaky clean will maybe help you determine if you have a bad head gasket and which cylinder it's leaking into. A leak down and compression test are also good ideas as well.

As far as the radiator goes, you can take it to a radiator shop to test flow, but again, you will need to remove it from the truck to do so. They can tell you if it's flowing to spec or clogged up. Used/rebuilt radiators are pricey but still far less than new from the LR Dealer.

It may be a good idea to haggle more with the owner to compensate for any issues that may pop up down the road. Also, check the service records, was the truck maintained or not??

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It had better be under $1000 or you may have a rude awakening. Is there coolant in the oil?
That engine may only need head gaskets, apx. $1500, may need heads, may have dropped a sleeve and may just be a big boat anchor.
How much are they asking for it, how mechanical are you and how much of a $$$$$ risk are you willing to take?

mhayes2344

Reaction score
They are asking $1000 for it. The most I will pay is $800. I plan on going to look at it this evening. Obviously I will check the oil and coolant and see how they look. Also would running it briefly with the radiator cap off to see if there are air bubbles in the cooling system be ok? He said I could drive the disco a short distance before it would start to overheat.

Disco Mike - I know exactly what you're saying...a running '99 discovery with approximately the same miles (140k) is going for ~$3000-3500 depending on condition and whatnot. If I buy this rover I plan on replacing the head gaskets, water pump, t-stat, radiator and hoses - all of which I would do myself...but that's about as much money I'd want to put into it. My plan is actually to drive it a bit then put it back up forsale in good repair....hopefully not lose any money it and buy a newer discovery II with fewer miles.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never run a closed cooling system with the cap off, all you will do is allow it to over heat quicker cause it is not under pressure and will boil at a lower temp.

mhayes2344

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up....these motors are a bit different than what I'm used to working on; SBC LT1 specifically and SBF's. I've read so much in the last several months and I feel like I still know nothing about them.

mhayes2344

Reaction score
Well I decided against even going to look at the '99 disco I. I figure there's probably something more to it than just a bad head gasket and I wouldn't know until after I bought it. More importantly it really wasn't what I want.

I'm planning on going to check out a '04 disco w/ 123k on it (head gaskets replaced at ~118k) for a decent price. It's actually listed on landroversonly.com

Here's where I need an honest opinion (and I know this is a LR site so I'm sure some will be bias). I am a college student with not a lot of extra cash. I'm looking for a capable, yet reliable SUV. If it were to break down while I'm at school I would have to have it repaired at a garage. However, I can do preventive maintenance at my house while on summer break.

I have the option of buying a '02 Trooper w/ ~125k from my parents that they bought new and I know has been properly maintained. I know it doesn't have near the off-road capability that a rover has but I don't plan on doing anything major until I'm out of school and can afford upgrades/repairs/etc. Downside is..well it's boring. The interior is basic and bland and it doesn't have the appeal that a Land Rover has to me.

The '04 Disco would basically be stretching my budget. If it were to need immediate maintenance I could not afford it.

The other option is to go with one of the many '99-02 Disco II's in my price range and also consider some nice mid to late-90's Disco I's. I just don't want to end up/can't afford buying something that is unreliable.

I guess my best bet as far as buying a land rover goes would be to buy something ~$2k below my budget that way I have money to repair whatever the reason the previous owner sold it for.

Any thoughts/opinions on this?

vegas99d1

Reaction score
I think you have your answer, go with the Trooper. It's within your budget and as you can tell, Land Rover's are great vehicles, but you're looking at older models which will be inevitable needy as they are 6-10+ years old. Stuff breaks, stuff wears out. If i was in your situation, i'd get the trooper for the daily, reliable (historically maintained) vehicle. Later as your financial situation improves, then look to the LR of your choice, knowing full well that there WILL be stuff that needs to be repaired/replaced. If you are planning on doing any kind of off roading, you will need to spend more money on the vehicle to maintain it beyond the basic oil changes as you will need to service the differentials, transfer case, transmission and axles more frequently.

I wish you luck in whichever avenue you choose, but keep in mind, the price of the D1's are going down as well as the newer D2's. There's no rush.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM