Coolant leak from Transmission?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Azoo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your gasket is fine since you saw nothing when you took of the engine oil fill cap and if coolant was getting into your tranny you would have definately started having tranny issues. I believe your coolant leak is somewhere along the pipes that go into the heater core.

Also you need to confirm the type of fluid, is it Coolant or tranny fluid ?

Last edited:

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Azoo..

If you want to see your tranny fluid, a laser pyrometer will work fine.. If you warm the tranny up to 40-50 degrees Celsius and crack the fill plug (leave the truck running), you should get some drips of fluid out that you can compare to the the other drips via smell, touch, etc.. That should settle what fluid you are seeing on the bolts..

It might be a good idea to have a quart of tranny fluid on hand- if nothing comes out you can pump it in.. The procedure is here: http://www.landroverworld.org/threads/lr4-transmission-fluid-change-pan-swap-option.28828/page-6

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do the old skool taste test, sweet tasting almost a clear fluid is anti freeze,
almost clear but bitter is brake fluid. Heck i'm still alive, that third ****** does me no harm.
No taste slightly tinted and tan unless dirty and dark brown, engine oil.
Ya got to love the engineered design of pipes and rubber tubing located under the intake manifold, how stupid is that those bean counters?

Merry Christmas everyone, be safe see ya in 2018.

luigirangerover

Reaction score
its the heater core...there are two drain tubes in the heater box that are designed to dran the water when the heater core leaks out of the interior and they drip down directly onto the transmission I just changed mine out and it definitely had a leak and it stopped it

alrxgonz26

Reaction score
@mko9, did you ever find out what it was? I discovered the same problem where I have coolant on my transmission bolts and I can't seem to figure out where it's coming from.

mko9

Reaction score
There is a coolant crossover pipe (plastic apparently?) on the back side of the engine. That is where the leak was coming from.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM