Coolant Temp Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to expand on what has been mentioned.

Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor 1 is mounted in the rear crossover pipes.
Sensor 2 is in the lower hose at the thermostat.
The thermostat has a heater that allows the PCM to control the opening function.

The electric thermostat has 4 connections. The lower connection receives coolant from the radiator lower hose and the ATF cooler. The larger upper connection is connected via a hose, water supply tube and water outlet to the cylinder block. The flow from this connection is governed by the thermostat. A connection at the side provides flow to the coolant pump and a smaller connection from this receives coolant return from the heater core and the coolant expansion tank.
The thermostat begins to open at 208-215 °F and is fully open at 226 °F.
Does this apply to the SCV6 as well?

M32H32IS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just to expand on what has been mentioned.

Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor 1 is mounted in the rear crossover pipes.
Sensor 2 is in the lower hose at the thermostat.
The thermostat has a heater that allows the PCM to control the opening function.

The electric thermostat has 4 connections. The lower connection receives coolant from the radiator lower hose and the ATF cooler. The larger upper connection is connected via a hose, water supply tube and water outlet to the cylinder block. The flow from this connection is governed by the thermostat. A connection at the side provides flow to the coolant pump and a smaller connection from this receives coolant return from the heater core and the coolant expansion tank.
The thermostat begins to open at 208-215 °F and is fully open at 226 °F.
Thorough explanation, thank you! This is the information I was looking for when I created the post.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes.
The V6 is a V8 block with V6 heads.
All the coolant paraphernalia is basically the same.
Yeah, I knew blocks were the same less 2, for some odd reason I thought I read where they made the 2014-16 trucks run a bit hotter for emissions/efficiency.

tim

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
T-stat on the v6 is different and runs the engine slightly hotter. Can’t remember the temp range.
IIRC, on a trip from SC to MA, I ran between 205-226 cruising mostly around 219. My L322 runs a steady 226.4.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut