Cooper Zeon LTZ Off-Road tires on Stock 19" Wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add another LR4 owner to the list of those who went with Cooper Zeon LTZ tires.
Based on Finlayforprez's excellent contribution to the forum on this topic, I ordered the tires from treadepot and had them installed today. I am headed out to Silverton Colorado tomorrow, and will go to some of the many awesome trails there.

I wanted to have a bit more rugged tire for those trails so I went with the Coopers.
I've kept the OEM contis and might switch back for daily use if I find the coopers too noisy for the highway trips.

I also added a full sized spare wheel/tire specifically for this trip.

Safe driving everyone ...

Cheers!
Awesome jamgolf! So glad to hear you went with the Coopers.

I can't wait to hear about your trip - keep us posted and definitely post some pictures when you return.

I am sure you will love the tires.

-David

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am headed out to Silverton Colorado tomorrow, and will go to some of the many awesome trails there.
Please report back about your trip. Imogene Pass is on my "to do" list and would love to hear a report if you do it. Several years ago, we did part of Yankee Boy Basin with my Mercedes ML320. Super fun and pretty, but my parents were in the back seat and were freaking out when we went over a very narrow shelf section... we decided that was enough for them and turned around. :biggrin:

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm lurking over here while planning to trade our LR3 in for an LR4. We have the heavy duty package and will need to order an LR4 to get it again, so I'm waiting to order a 2013in August. Anyway, I just put a set of 19" Cooper Zeon LTZ tires on our LR3. Finally, a tire that fits the LR3 and does great on the beach! The Pirelli Scorpion ATR's were quieter on the highway but there is no comparison in sand. Thanks for the tire recommendation!

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, Jamgolf and Paulr3...more feedback on the coop's? Especially in comparison to the stock conty's. Just curious if I am giving anything up on the highway (material difference in mpg and road noise, braking, tracking, etc). I know it will kick ass off road and David has provided very positive feedback. Just looking to get a few more opinions.

I am cheap, and its really hard to justify getting rid of perfectly good contys for the 80 per tire trade in i can get when they only have 700 miles or so on them. Then there is the temptation of going full bore and getting dropping 2k on the 18's....decisions decisions decisions...

:)

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am cheap, and its really hard to justify getting rid of perfectly good contys for the 80 per tire trade in i can get when they only have 700 miles or so on them.
I hear ya! I decided to keep the Conti's until they wear out. I'm at 20k miles now. We've done some off-roading and so far they've done OK.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya! I decided to keep the Conti's until they wear out. I'm at 20k miles now. We've done some off-roading and so far they've done OK.
I agree with waltzonice. I went off-roading about 4-5 times (mild to moderate) on the stock Conti 4x4Contacts and they were fine. I likely would have been fine keeping them for my needs, but I do not like the look. Part of my decision in switching to the Coopers was the look - I like the more aggressive look of the tire. Plus, the moderate off-roading that I do they are light years better.

I can certainly see bromhead's hesitation, especially if he is considering dishing out ~$2,000 for the 18" wheels, but for me it was money well spent. I will not consider the 18" wheels at least for another couple years (if I even keep my current LR4). So, I sold my 10,000 mile Contis for $500.00 and basically spent $600.00 for the Coopers.

Just the look alone is worth it! :) It's the best modification I have done thus far.

-David

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I am back from my trip and put on 2500 miles on the Coopers.
Fuel economy was similar (if not better) than the Contis.
On road performance was very good with respect to traction.
Road noise at 75 mph and above is higher than the continentals - and that is the only edge Contis have over these Coopers (in my opinion). But that is to be expected due to the more aggressive tread pattern.

Off-road these Coopers are fantastic (again in my opinion) ...
For the type of off road terrain in San Juan Mountains, I am glad that I did put them on before my trip. In some areas the trails are very rocky and the rocks are very sharp and pointed and Coopers performed remarkably well. I wondered about how the stock tires would do. I suppose they might do OK but I would not fancy changing tires in some of those steep narrow shelf trails.

I am happy to report that I had a great trip and that the Coopers gave me the confidence to go where I wanted to go. I had excellent traction and a great ride.

All in all I am extremely satisfied with Cooper Zeon LTZ tires.

Cheers!

bromhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just when I think I have decided not to buy the coops (I have a new car, the oem tires only have 800 miles on them), I see something like this!

So the only con is the noise? How much worse at 75+mph? I assume these are your day to day tires as well. You didn't just swap out for the trip

Great px on the other post btw

jamgolf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just when I think I have decided not to buy the coops (I have a new car, the oem tires only have 800 miles on them), I see something like this!

So the only con is the noise? How much worse at 75+mph? I assume these are your day to day tires as well. You didn't just swap out for the trip

Great px on the other post btw

At highway speeds, in my estimation, the noise is about 20% more. The stock tires are soft and quiet. Coopers have more agressive tread pattern so they have the higher noise.

I have 10K trouble free miles on the continentals and I think I am going to switch back to them, not because I don't like the Coopers for day to day use, but because the stock tires have a lot of tread left and I'll just use them for around town and commuting etc and then when they wear out (or if I am going on another trip) - I'll put the Coopers back on.

If would recommend that you stick with the stock tires, I mean why discard new tires (unless you can recoup some money by selling them). They are not bad tires. I have been to local OHV parks 3 times with the stock tires and they did just fine.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

I am back from my trip and put on 2500 miles on the Coopers.
Fuel economy was similar (if not better) than the Contis.
On road performance was very good with respect to traction.
Road noise at 75 mph and above is higher than the continentals - and that is the only edge Contis have over these Coopers (in my opinion). But that is to be expected due to the more aggressive tread pattern.

Off-road these Coopers are fantastic (again in my opinion) ...
For the type of off road terrain in San Juan Mountains, I am glad that I did put them on before my trip. In some areas the trails are very rocky and the rocks are very sharp and pointed and Coopers performed remarkably well. I wondered about how the stock tires would do. I suppose they might do OK but I would not fancy changing tires in some of those steep narrow shelf trails.

I am happy to report that I had a great trip and that the Coopers gave me the confidence to go where I wanted to go. I had excellent traction and a great ride.

All in all I am extremely satisfied with Cooper Zeon LTZ tires.

Cheers!
Thanks for the awesome Cooper report! :) I actually don't notice the highway noise, probably because my roof rack blocks that noise - haha! :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo