Crankshaft position sensor questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gforce1108

Reaction score
I've done a bunch of searching and have posted on a couple LR sites but haven't quite found the answer to a question.

I believe I am dealing with a bad crankshaft position sensor but I have conflicting evidence...

I have little to no spark (slight spark at first that seems to fade). Not a fueling issue. I have the factory service manual and it states that a bad crank position sensor will result in no tach reading. Using and OBDII scanner, I can monitor the RPMs while cranking and the ECU is showing 145RPM or so.

If the sensor is bad, would I be able to read RPM? Also, the CEL turns off while cranking after one or two revolutions. I think I read that this is a symptom?

Background info:
1999 LR Discovery II 4.0 210k miles that belongs to a friend. Developed an intermittent miss a month or so ago which got progressively worse. Had codes for multi and cyls1,4&7 misfire. Same codes came back after clearing. Would go back and forth between running perfect one day, stalling the next. Since 1,4&7 are all on one coil pack I had him order one. I installed it yesterday, cleared the codes and it ran perfect all the way back to his house (5 miles or so). He later went out to start it and it fired, stumbled and then stalled. No codes stored. No fire on carb cleaner.

I pulled the intake again to make sure I didn't pinch anything (all good). I held my hand over one intake port and I can feel good vacuum. Pulled battery connection, armed disarmed alarm (plus lock/unlock door 4x) after reading about alarm problems, although the owner believes that it would not turn over if that was the case.

If money were no object, we'd have already ordered the sensor. The owner is very tight for cash and wants to be sure before ordering. Any help would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM