Crankshaft Position Sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jm_prindle

Reaction score
I did a search, but didn't find any similar problems..

I was driving in my DII (100K miles) and all of a sudden the check engine light flashed on, and right back off. The next morning it did the same thing, except then it came back on and the Disco died. It started up again and it drives - but the light flicks on randomly and the truck nearly shuts down, but then the light goes off and it keeps going without stalling.

I had the codes pulled tonight and it only had one - the Crankshaft Position Sensor. I would just bring it in to LR to have them fix it, but it behaved more oddly than normal tonight.

On the way home the check engine light came on and went off as it did yesterday. But this time the light that looks like a grean green gear (sport button) started flashing, a different gear next to it with an "M" also flashed, and the "D" for Drive also flashed. As usual, I shut it off and everything was normal when It came back on.

Anybody have any thoughts? Would the Crankshaft Position Sensor cause all of the different flashing lights?

Thanks

John

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be the battery or the alternator going bad. Have them checked.

jm_prindle

Reaction score
I was hoping it would be that simple as well, my DII acted similarly when the battery died on me.

I had the battery tested and it was holding at 92% charge. Is there anything else electrical that would cause this? I might guess the ECU as well, but that was replaced at 70k and I doubt that is bad.

Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Could be a bad connection at the battery. I just recently replaced the battery terminals on my Disco... came out of the store yesterday and got nothing but clicking... popped the hood and sure enough the ground post was loose. Tightened it up and it started right up.

jm_prindle

Reaction score
This morning I went so far as to read the owners manual! Next to the description of the "M" gear looking light it says..

"If both the Manual (the M light) and Sport mode lights flash together, this indicates an electrical fault with the automatic grearbox. It says to seek urgent assistance if you shut it down and turn it on again and they still flash. Mine stops if I turn it off and on again.

I think this gives further evidence that my issue might not be the crankshaft sensor. I'll check to make sure my battery terminals are tight next.

jm_prindle

Reaction score
Before I got a chance to check the Battery Terminals, The Disco left me stranded on the way home. After an hour it started and I took it to the Dealer. They had it for the day and came back with "It needs a battery", so I had one put in.

On Saturday I picked it up and on the way home....lights blinked and it left me stranded. I was able to start it after 15 minutes, but it will be going back to the dealer tomorrow.

I think at this point we have ruled out battery, or terminals being the problem. When I get it back I will post an update as to what was actually wrong.

jm_prindle

Reaction score
After a lot of Diagnosis, the dealer replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor. It is Funny becaues this is what the code was showing to begin with - I think it cost $260 with parts and labor. You can only order the sensor from the dealer.

Initially the dealer didn't think that the "M" and "S" (Manual and Sport) lights would flash due to the sensor. After some research they figured out that the sensor is on the same circuit as these flashing warning lights.

I would say in the future do 2 things if you get this problem. #1 Have your battery tested and make sure the terminals are tight. #2 Replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor

John

tempestv8

Reaction score
Where is the crankcase speed sensor located? Is it easily replaced or is it located in a hard-to-access spot?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99