Creaking and cracking - normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I have 2011 LR4, 5k miles, love it so far (except mpg).

I have creaking/cracking/plasticy noise from all over in the cabin going over bumps, potholes, small cracks in the road, reflectors, etc.

It is not crazy loud but loud enough to think this should not be happening on a new truck. I don''t like taking it in to dealer again and again because I don't want them to open stuff unless it is necessary.

So question for you all, what kind of noises are common and which ones I should take it in?

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine never made any noise unless it was well below zero. Have you heard it consistently or did it just start?

Rob

UGAgirl97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed any cracking or noises in my truck and I actually have always kept my ears open for this bc another poster mentioned the same thing awhile back. I even checked for it when I test drove my actual vehicle before I brought it home. So I would have to think what you are hearing is not normal. Oh, and my LR4 is a 2011 with like 3500 miles.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're plagued with the plastic creaking noises it will happen very early in ownership. My LR4 unfortunately did this. The dealership won't really help much so I quelled most of mine with felt tape from BMW, it's the stuff they use to quiet plastic creaking and other noises. The biggest noise maker ended up being the right lower plastic console cover. I had originally shoved a towel in there and that helped. Another here had the same exact issue and did the same. Anyway, in the end I just removed the screw that fixes the forward section and all those annoying creaking sounds went away. My LR is near Bently quiet. Hope this may help. Sorry you got a noisy one.

RAAZ227

Reaction score
The only thing that creaks (not all the time) in our 2010 LR4 is center console storage box. The interior of it is pretty cheap plastic.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm driving a 2011 HSE with around 4300 miles on it. I have never experienced any noise like you are describing.

garg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies!

I am very surprised now. I had been living with these noises assuming they were normal. My Bimmer also had some plastic noises but not as bad as the LR4.

Now let me ask again - these noises are going over rough patches of road or bumps, reflectors, and other uneven surfaces. Do you think Dealer will do anything about these noises?

Also, I had a noise coming from the dome light area that they opened and tried to fix. They made it worse and then said my rear dome light assembly need to be replaced. Trying not have them open again and making it worse.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that creaks once in a while in my LR4 is my seat.... But I moved it a bit and it seems to have gone away.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing that creaks (not all the time) in our 2010 LR4 is center console storage box. The interior of it is pretty cheap plastic.

I somewhat don't agree, 80% is amazing material, and 20% is super cheap plastic. What's the point of putting in over the top quality materials to ruin it with some cheapie stuff like the center speaker cover (major source of noise) and the radio. Now I'm not going to say LR sucks because of this, I love mine, and had some high end BMWs in the past that were crazy noisy, but if LR just got rid of, or used a little more felt, or attention to softening the clips where there is cheap plastic, the LR4 would be a Rolls.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635