Dash Cracks, Now You See Them, Now You Don't

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uoflcardfan77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just after I bought my 2006 LR3 I learned about the dash cracks around the air bag. Mine didn't have them so I thought I got lucky. Then a couple of weeks ago, there they were.

First I tried some liquid vinyl mending stuff. Hot mess. :mad:
Next I looked into a new dash, but the cost :eek:
Finally decided that a dash mat was worth the $52.99 investment. It came today and I think I have a winner. :)

Here's a couple of pictures to show what it looks like. I went with the Tech Fabric from a company called Dashcare.

20150806_130826_zpsnltdx6f2.jpg

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed a small (1/4" or less) crack in mine starting so I neatly filled it in with black silicone, almost been a year and seems ok, knock on wood.

uoflcardfan77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine started as one crack on the left hand side of the air bag. When I got in it this morning I noticed it had started another longer crack. I thought about black silicone but wasn't sure. With more cracks starting to show up I think I'll just leave the cover on.

CMGRover, you realize by even mentioning it and "knocking on wood" you ensured that it will start cracking by late tonight or tomorrow morning at the latest. :)

Tuglife

Reaction score
How much was the cover? My cracks aren't terrible but I'm not crazy about them.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 10 1/2 year dash looks as new as the day it was born! One of the few benefits of living where it's rarely sunny I guess.....

Tuglife

Reaction score
Yeah mine was garage kept till I bought it. Still had cracks, though not nearly to the extent I've seen on others, just perfect outlines of the passengers airbag. Think it's just luck or a bad batch of manufacturing. Probably could narrow it down to specific manufacturing batch. Sure LR did just didn't want to pay to fix them all.

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got one, looks decent. I would prefer they did a cut out for the speaker.

schwaggy

Reaction score
I got one, looks decent. I would prefer they did a cut out for the speaker.

What!? They don't even have that as an option for their cover? That seems odd...

uoflcardfan77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What!? They don't even have that as an option for their cover? That seems odd...

According to their web site the cover does not inhibit sound at all and in fact serves to protect the speaker. Whether it does or not . . .

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99