Dashboard separation problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

cdg

My Dashboard in coming apart at the top of the center console, is there an easy repair? or even a difficult one? other than replacing the whole dash?
have a look at my problem, it is also occuring a little on the right and left sides:
27687.JPG

D

disco1

I don't believe that you can glue the dash other than replacing it. 95' Discovery's are known to have lifting dash problems which, LR replaced even after the vehicles were out of the warranty period. I had mine replaced (free of charge), a year or so after the warranty expired. You could try and hit up LR but after all this time I think it would be a long shot.

C

cdg

I just had it in to do some other maintinance and they changed my gas tank, but I doubt I'd get a free dashboard out of them after 11 years.

V

vray

MY 94 has the same problem. identical to your pic... I was thinking of removing the centre dash console and glueing it down. I'll let you know how it turns out.

C

cdg

I read a post on Discoweb about a guy using gorillaglue or something for this problem, and he said it has been fine for over 2 years.
Good luck, and let me know.:biggrin:

D

disco1

Well FWIW, since my last post, today I purchased a 95' 3 door Auto in good condition but with 290,000km on the clock for AUS $5,500 = US $7200 approx (to add to my collection). It has the lifting dash problem. I did in the meantime some investigating and found that you can get a kit which will secure the dash professionally. Apparantly you can do it two ways. One you need to remove the windscreen to get to the 'lift', or, you can do it without removing the windscreen, but it's not as good of a job as the former method. I'm expecting more info in the next day or so re price so I'll keep you all posted. CDG, I think the fix will work on your problem as well.

C

cdg

I did see a link to the kit(on discoweb) that fixes the Winshield side of the lift, but not the centre console area, so I'm anxiously awaiting your next post to see what you have found:wink:

Discosid

Reaction score
The front edge you can get a kit to screw it down.
For the edge in the pic I glued it down.
2 ways get some Rhino Glue from Home depot or Like this glue is very strong and expands to fill in gaps. Remove console the black trim round the heater vents radio etc apply glue and clamp. opr stick the glue in the gap and squeeze with 2x10 fro the back seat to the dash put some brick on the 2x10 to push the dash down.
As for the front edge you can only glue down when the windsheild is out. So wait till you need a new one or by the kit.

Last edited:
D

disco1

Ok here's the update. The local supplier of the kit wants..........Wait for it.......$400, yeah right! For this sort of money I can get a second hand dash from the various LR wreckers. Undaunted, I did a search. Here's a result that looks like it will do the job of fixing any "lifting" at the windscreen, however, you may need to try Discosid's suggestion for your lifting problem at the front vents.
http://www.roverconnection.com/Disco Acc Pix/rcdsh.htm

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink