DDM vs Kensun HIDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I've had after-market HIDs installed for a week and tested a few variations.

Here's some comments:
1. I started with Kensun 6000k bulbs and a slim ballast from DDM. The lights were very bright with a hint of blue. Also, with a longer reach down the road.

2. Changed to DDM 5000ks and noticed that they seemed to be more blue than the Kensun 6000k bulbs, with a little less brightness. Still using the DDM slim ballast.

3. Changed to DDM 6000ks and noticed even more of a deeper blue tint, with less brightness than #2 and #1 above. Also, with the DDM slim ballast.

I find that the DDM bulbs are just not that bright compared to even the Cystal Vision Ultra halogens or the Kensun HIDs. And the DDMs have sporadically not fired up a few times when I've had them installed. Maybe its just a bad batch of DDMs?

I favor more of a bright white than bluish tint.

Anybody else mess around with HID bulbs, brands, etc and find a true bright white? Anyone use 4300k or 4500k?

Thanks!

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd look for something true white for sure. You can actually see things better without the blue tones, especially in crap weather.

I tried a whole heap of HID bulbs in my infiniti, but I can't remember the exact bulb temp I used. 5k/6k seems like they would be really blue.

Anyone know what the stock HSE Lux xenons are?

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmmm... it's odd because my 6000k ddms are pure white. the 5000ks are a bit yellow.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh, im probably just not remembering the right temps then. Ignore me.

bushway9172

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A lot of it depends on the ballasts you are using... 55 watt vs 35 watt can make a huge difference in color.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 35w ballasts. Is anyone using 55w? Are they too bright with 55w?

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the wattage will increase the output. 55w will have more of a flood to it than 35w. but it will not change the temperature. i know people who use 12000k bulbs for the pink effect. since that temperature at 35w is rather weak, you'll need a 55w or better to be able to see anything on the road with the bulbs.

sparrky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, sorry to be obsessed with the Xenon/HIDs...

I tried a pair of 55W ballasts with both 5000k and 6000k bulbs and they still look pretty blue. When set against the 2013 LEDs that have a yellowish color, the blueish HIDs don't look that good.

The light output seemed lesser than I had with halogens as well.

I'm wondering if the halogen lens has something to has something to do with the blue color of the HIDs and the limited output that I seem to get at night.

So I decided to just go back to Crystal Vision Ultra's for now. They have more light output than the standard LR halogens. I guess I'll just wait until I get another Rover to get HIDs, as I haven't been happy with the after-market look.

Thanks all for your comments and help in this process. Your assistance has been greatly appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tango90