Death Wobble 2000 Range Rover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rjhaworth

Reaction score
I have loved my rover even with all of the problems. First was the air suspension, swapped it for a coil conversion. Second now is that I still have a death wobble at 55 -60 MPH. I have replaced the steering dampener and have has tires balanced and rotated and also replaced the panhard bar. I would get a vibration at about 55-60 then it would go away at higher speeds. If I power through 55 like when getting on the freeway no vibration. I have had a couple of times when I hit a small bump at speed and I get wobble in the front but goes away if I just let off of the gas for a moment. Last week I was driving on a smooth surface and wham, bad wobble. Scared me pretty good as it did not go away quickly, in fact I had to slow and pull to the side of the road before it would go away. Felt like the front end was shaking apart. Did it twice in row once I got up to speed again. Nursed it home at speeds below 50. Could it be the bushings on the torsion bars up front? I have read about some sort of pins, are these similar to a ball joint?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Randy

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, how many miles on it, have you checked and replaced all the bushings and or tie rod ends?

Rjhaworth

Reaction score
156000, and I was hoping to get away from throwing parts at it. I have had it to a couple of tire/suspension shops and they cannot see anything worn or loose. I will be taking it to a land rover mechanic tomorrow, hope they can find the issue without trial and error.
Thanks,
Randy

Rjhaworth

Reaction score
So here is what I have summized. My Rover is a 2000 with 2003 wheels. The centering ring is not an exact fit and the has caused the wheels not to center and I believe has been causing the problem. I used a hose clamp(sans the clamp part) and was able to fill in the open space between the centering ring and the wheel on all 4 wheels. This improved the bounce tremendously. I am having some made special at a Tech College that has a machining class.

portalrover

Reaction score
So here is what I have summized. My Rover is a 2000 with 2003 wheels. The centering ring is not an exact fit and the has caused the wheels not to center and I believe has been causing the problem. I used a hose clamp(sans the clamp part) and was able to fill in the open space between the centering ring and the wheel on all 4 wheels. This improved the bounce tremendously. I am having some made special at a Tech College that has a machining class.

You may also want to replace the top and bottom swivel bushes/bearings on the front hubs. This can cause a bad wobble, but to be apparant when you jack the wheel off the ground.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink