Defender 130 an LR4 replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new Wagoneer just looks too big. Too big for trails. A PITA to park in tight parking spots. Etc.

Not interested in it the same as I'm not interested in the other full size American SUVs.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new Wagoneer just looks too big. Too big for trails. A PITA to park in tight parking spots. Etc.

Not interested in it the same as I'm not interested in the other full size American SUVs.
Yeah I spoke too soon the alleged dimensions are 20" longer and 8" wider than an LR4.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Wagoneer would be a great highway cruiser to Colorado if all I did was go skiing or mountain biking, but I like to hit the trails, too.

I don't have any kids. Just my wife, me, and a 185lb dog. The size of the LR4 is perfect for us. It gets packed really tight when we go on weeklong camping trips to Colorado, but I'm working on solutions for that.

Kev M

Reaction score
I will be giving this a long hard look. Not as a replacement for the LR4, but just because I think it's a great looking mammoth vehicle. It would be my 5th Cherokee/Grand Cherokee, so I'm no stranger to the brand. Hard to believe it's bigger than the Expedition (which I've had x2 as well).

I had a 2011 JGC Overland edition which was the year of their big refresh on the design. The interior finishes were extremely nice and the tech ran circles around the LR4. I felt like the handling was also on par, maybe just a tad softer.
It's funny. I think our 2012 GC was a great vehicle the 8-9 years we had it.

I LOVE our new Defender and the tech is decent, but I have one complaint.

Unless I'm too stupid to figure it out I believe there's no way to link the keys to the memory seats. So unlike the Jeep when I walk up and open the door I have to hit the button for my setting.

And to make matters worse, also unlike the Jeep it seems the profiles don't change things like the radio presets, temperature and mirror settings (unless again I've just failed to find how to do that).

So I get the Jeep, I do. But we also want a right-sized vehicle and our 110 is definitely that. I think this new Wagoner will be too big for us.

Last edited:

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lr4 is better in most ways except reliability. The LC is kind of a dinosaur. Gas hog. Low HP. Horrible third row. Etc. If they redesign it I’ll look at it. But I own an lr4. So it would be no upgrade.

I get aboutt he same MPG form the LC200 that I used to get from the LR4 (I guess it depends on how you drive). I can't complain about HP (381HP) or torque (401 lb-ft) while cruisng on-road, towing or mild off-roading. The third row sits 3 vs. the 2-seater on my old LR4 (always a kid row).

I would have loved to get a 2018 LR4/LR5 but when I went to my JLR dealer and saw the Discovery it was an easy decision not to buy that. The LR4 used to be the best SUV for our family, now we are back to Landcruisers. We do not buy used vehicles and usually get a new vehicle every 5 years.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything considered (size, seating, loadspace, off-road, price, and overall appearance) it's hard to beat a good LR4.

100%... I dont understand why JLR felt it had to replace it with the Discovery which is worse in all of the above. IF they ever bring back the LR4 body/style I'll be back. Having said that, I bought all our LR4s and RRs new and never kept any of them for more than 5 years.

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Wagoneer would be a great highway cruiser to Colorado if all I did was go skiing or mountain biking, but I like to hit the trails, too.

Yep, my interest in the big Wagoneer really isn't based on practicality or even moderate trail use. I just think it's cool to have a behemoth road trip mobile with outstanding interior finishes and tech.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9