defender maintaince

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grbec22

Reaction score
I just recently got an 85 defender rhd here in the states. There is not an abundance of information out there of this vehicle especially in terms of getting parts. Is there a place that is easy to work with to get parts such as valve covers for this 2.5 non turbo vehicle. All help is greatly appreciated. I'm just looking for a step in the right direction. I have a LT77 five speed transmission in the vehicle. The transmission is the original and is a little clunky. I would like to change the transmission fluid and transfer case fluid all at once. what are the recommended fluids for this. The engine was replace at 110000 miles and a new one was put in. I don't know what the owner did to **** the engine, but I got this vehicle now with only 40000miles on the engine. Does anyone know how well these engines hold up. How about the trans. Cheers

Roger

grbec22

Reaction score
basically I need to know if there a more readily available oil filter for the 2.5 non turbo diesel. What would be the best replacement gear oil for LT77 and the transfer case? I appreciate all help. I am in the usa

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
basically I need to know if there a more readily available oil filter for the 2.5 non turbo diesel. What would be the best replacement gear oil for LT77 and the transfer case? I appreciate all help. I am in the usa

Send me your number, I have a friend that can help you with your parts needs as well as advise.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi to all ,,,i,ve just got myself a defender 90 300tdi , and there seems to be a knocking noise coming from my drivers side front wheel, when i turn out of junctions to the left or right ,but stops when i,m going in a straight line !!! Could any one point me in the right direction as to what to look at ,so i can repair it.

Sounds like you may have a bad CV joint, how mechanical are you?

TS888

Reaction score
Rovers North is the main source for OEM LR parts in the US. Google them. They can get any Rover part, bring your wallet. British Pacific is also a good source, and has a reasonably good supply of parts and often better prices than RN. There are a couple of US eBay sellers that are good for used mechanical parts.

John Craddock's and LR Series in the UK ship worldwide, and the prices will be much, much better than RN, so if the shipping isn't too bad you can be money ahead.

For small parts, you could hit eBay UK, the shipping via Royal Mail/US Mail is slow but reasonable for something light like a gasket. The first thing you should buy is a CD of the parts manual and shop manual. You'll be miles ahead with good information at your fingertips. Spend a bit more to get the real LR CD, not a copy. The copies are often buggy and won't run on all OS's.

The 2.5 NA diesel is a stout and simple engine, I can't imagine what someone would have to do to "****" one in 40k. Is it really shot, or just not running?

The recommended lube for the LT77 is Dexron ATF. Redline MTL is good too, but spendy. The xfer case gets EP 90 gear oil.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635