Device error

Discussion in 'LR4' started by Amygretchen, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Amygretchen

Amygretchen New Member

Just got 2011 LR4 for Christmas. I am bummed to find out though that the usb connection is giving me a device error. I am using an iPhone 6. Any thoughts? I need this connection to work or else a better Bluetooth option for streaming music.

Thanks for your advise and help!

AG

2. Amygretchen

Amygretchen New Member

Also I tried connecting my daughters iPhone 5s. Same issue.

3. umbertob

umbertob Full Access Member

You need a proprietary interface cable to connect an iPod/iPhone to the 2010-11 infotainment system. Here is a video that may help:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaxZfoTxzYM

PS: If you have a recent iPhone (5 or newer), you will also need a male Apple Lightning to female 30-pin adapter, to make Land Rover's proprietary cable work with your device.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
  4. cperez

cperez Full Access Member

I was never thrilled with the proprietary cable hookup in my 2011 LR4. The cable is short and stiff and it created an awkward storage situation in the cubby. Also, although I was fortunate that this special cable came with my vehicle, I have heard that it is fairly expensive to purchase. However, streaming my music was very important to me so I ultimately went with an aftermarket Bluetooth solution that has been fantastic. It seamlessly handles my phone calls and music. Search for "Kinivo BTC-450" in this forum for some threads where this was discussed.

I won't bother complaining about the fact that BT music streaming was not offered in the 2011 model (oops, I guess I just did). :biggrin:

5. Andy Ferrett

Andy Ferrett New Member

For those that are interested I found a fix for this problem:

My iPhoneX was working fine with my 2010 Discovery, but when I reinstalled my phone it stopped working. After scratching my head for a few weeks, I found the problem was I didn't have any music setup in the Apple Music app. When the phone first connects to the car (through the cable, with adapter), it tries to play the first track in Apple Music. If there is nothing there it errors.

The fix was to add (through iTunes) an MP3 of silence (https://github.com/anars/blank-audio). When the phone is plugged into the car it plays the silence and works for all the other apps that require audio (eg Spotify, Google Maps, Audible etc).

I hope this helps.