Diagnostic Scanner/Software for the lr3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would like to get some software to run on my laptop that will allow me to do diagnostics and resets of the computer systems on the lr3. Is there such a system out yet? I would like to use my laptop as I already carry it on the long expeditions anyway. I know you can get cables to connect the obd2 port to the computer I'm just am not sure about software...
Ryan
05 lr3

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the cheapest option you can find is the FaultMate MSV-2 by a company in the UK (?) called Blackbox Solutions. The have various configurations (all LandRover lines/single vehicle types/PC/standalone) and as I recall the cheapest for our vehicles is the PC based LR3 specific model. I think you are looking at roughly 500 Euros + shipping/duty, etc, etc.

I have no personal experience, but I've been considering one instead of an extended warranty. I went this route with my BMW (and ex-Mini) and it has served me well; I've done a few $1000+ repairs in my garage for a couple of hundred dollars each - using my laptop as the diagnostic and reset tool. I'm still a little hesitant with the LR3 as it appears to be a much more complex beast and parts aren't as readily available but I think I might take the risk!

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking because I bought my lr3 for extended back country trips. If I had the ability to diagnose in the field or reset fault codes I could at a minimum order parts and have them shipped to me. Obviously I am looking for a scantool that does all of the systems in the LR3 and not just the engine management. I have found a company in China that makes a system for the Landrovers 97-08 and its called the IDS system. They do not list a price though. I'll check into this one as well.
Thanks
Ryan
05 LR3

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like the unit is $1072 at todays exchange rate. Simply put though that could pay for itself in one failure if your on the right spot (ie not towable). I think I will look into getting one in the near future...
Ryan

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know how your search goes. From what I've read the BlackBox hardware/software combo is the closest you'll get to an actual factory system - without actually coughing up for the full system.

The IDS systems (Integrated Diagnostic System) is a factory/aftermarket shop tool - generally sold as a PC/Laptop and interface module. The BlackBox solution is just the interface module and software - you supply the PC and configuration.

As an aside, I haven't looked closely, but watch for a serial data requirement if you're using a notebook - since newer notebooks don't have serial connections, you wind up using a serial/usb converter and the timing of the devices (which is extremely important for the data communications) often isn't perfect on the cheaper units.

Here's a link to someone claiming to have a "real" IDS system ready to go (not a chinese clone - not sure how much this matters to you):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-IDS-VCM-...ItemQQimsxZ20090819?IMSfp=TL090819162003r8019

Pricing seems to be about ~3.5k landed back to the US...

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It looks like the unit is $1072 at todays exchange rate. Simply put though that could pay for itself in one failure if your on the right spot (ie not towable). I think I will look into getting one in the near future...
Ryan

We must have been posting at the same time. Definitely worth the price if you don't mind tinkering yourself. Again, let me know what you pick up, and give us all a review! I'm going to need to make a choice in the next 3 months (roughly when I run out of mileage on the factory warranty!)...

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually have a Panasonic Toughbook on a vehicle dock in my lr3 for navigation purposes. I intended to setup the diagnostics software/hardware so I can simply load the software and run the diagnostics. The toughbook does have two serial ports on the dock and one on the pc. As far as the chinese version goes I would rather read a review before buying one. The reviews on the Blackbox all sound good. I also do as much of the work as I can on my vehicles so it would save me there as well.
Ryan
05 LR3 (1 month out of warrenty)

Hanzo

Reaction score
Ive had this on my Audi, my FJ and my Honda, probably will put it on my LR3....its pretty much plug and play...find your OBD2 and plug it in...it has some gauges like water temp, VLT, air temp, MPG, and a few others I dont use..on top of which you can scan your OBD2 for codes, and erase them if you wish, I assume you need a code reference guide for LR or whatever car you are scanning.

http://www.scantool.net/scangauge-ii.html

Last edited:

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this scan tool do more then engine diagnostics?? I need one that will cover all systems of the lr3 not just the engine.
Ryan

Hanzo

Reaction score
Does this scan tool do more then engine diagnostics?? I need one that will cover all systems of the lr3 not just the engine.
Ryan

it is probably not as in depth as a dedicated hardware/software diagnostic system, but its also not going to cost you a arm nor a leg.

Built-In Scan Tool

The ScanGauge II can check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) and if found, can display how many there are and the Trouble Codes themselves. Using the internet or repair manuals, these can be translated to the failed component and repairs can be made.

Data captured when the Trouble Code was set can be recalled to help troubleshoot the problems (was the temperature hot or cold, speed high or low, etc). The ScanGauge II can be used to clear the trouble codes and data which will turn off the warning (Check Engine, Service Engine soon, etc) lamp.

Some states now require that vehicle self tests have been completed since the codes were last cleared, before running emissions checks. The ScanGauge reports this "Readiness".

* Reads Trouble Codes
* Reads Conditions that set the Trouble Code
* Clears Trouble Codes
* Turns off "Check Engine" light
* Tells you when vehicle is "Ready" to pass OBDII testing
* Make and store up to 10 rewritable special codes to send to the vehicle computer

I have yet to have many trouble codes on my Honda Fit, as its pretty new and reliable...I did have a few codes on my Audi, but it was engine related...(smog)...I can guess though that if the ECU gets the trouble code it spits it out, you just need the tool to read it, correct me if I'm wrong about this though....I did have a full on diag tool on my Audi, and as far as I could tell a DTC is a DTC, where its from did not seem to matter to the ECU or OBD2, it gave it to you and you used it...one thing my full on Diag tool did do was change settings of a system...i.e. remote window roll down was a different code that was stored in the ECU....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99