Diagnostic Scanner/Software for the lr3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this scan tool do more then engine diagnostics?? I need one that will cover all systems of the lr3 not just the engine.
Ryan

Very different tools!

it is probably not as in depth as a dedicated hardware/software diagnostic system, but its also not going to cost you a arm nor a leg.

You are correct that it's not as in depth; I have a ScanGauge II, and actually did use it was a fair bit of success to help diagnose issues with an older LandRover (Freelander) and reset the odd CEL. However, there's no real comparison - the OBDII data really only needs to deal with anything related to emissions; engine problems will almost always cause a change in emissions (ie, an issue!), and you get a fair bit of engine diagnostics thrown in for just this reason, however you don't get much more then the ability to clear the trouble codes associated with the problem (clearing the CEL). It's definitely a useful tool to have - glad I have mine.

On the other hand, the LR3 is a pretty complex beast with lots of other potential issues and I wouldn't recommend a ScanGuage (or equivalent) as a shop level tool. For instance, the last issue with my BMW was an intake cam position sensor - no check engine light, no trouble codes read with my ScanGuage tool (apparently had I waited long enough, the CEL would have eventually popped on and the ScanGauge tool would have picked it up - I had a random stall out and went for a pre-emptive test). I hauled out my scanning tool and ran a diagnostic on my computer - the sensor was detected as malfunctiong, my oil level sensor #1 showed as malfunctioning (which I knew, but #2 works fine) and I also noted that my cabin filter was barely functional any more - these are details that simply won't come up with a ScanGauge tool. A quick replacement and all was good with the CPS (though the cabin filter sensor reported back 80% life - I didn't even know that there was a cabin filter sensor, so 80% is good enough for me!).

Typically, I'm looking for this sort of list of functions (my sheet for my BMW):

Read and Erase ECU/Fault Codes for:

DME - Petrol Engines : - ALL ENGINE TYPES
DDE - Diesel Engines : - ALL ENGINE TYPES
ABS/ACS/DCS - Brake & Traction : - ALL BRAKE & TRACTION SYSTEMS
AIRBAG : - ALL AIRBAG SYSTEMS
Air-Conditioning : - ALL AIRCO SYSTEMS
BC / MID : - On BOARD COMPUTER / MULTI INFORMATION DISPLAY
DWA : - ALARM SYSTEMS
IC : - INSTRUMENT CLUSTERS
LCM / CCM : - ALL LIGHT & CHECK CONTROL MODULES
ZKE / ZVM : - ALL BODY SYSTEMS (features like auto-doors lock on driving, selective locking)
EGS : - ALL GEARBOX SYSTEMS (Reset adaptations)
EWS : - ALL IMMOBILIZE SYSTEMS (+Sync /w Engine ECU)
CVM : - ALL SOFT TOP SYSTEMS
LCM : - Light Control
PDC : - ALL PARK DISTANCE SYSTEMS

Service Interval
Service Light RESET
Service MANAGEMENT
Engine Oil Reset and adjustment function

For the LR3, I'd also be looking for stuff specific to the compressor and suspension system....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9