diff-loc warning light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
In that case, then it could be like Melissa is saying and the light is bad, or it could be the switch is bad that makes the light come on.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally i'd put truck on stands and check if lock was indeed engaged :)

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple days ago I lifted a front tire and it spun disengaged and locked up while engaged, thats the only way I know how to check it, is that right or should I do something else?

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also tried what Mel said and checked the bulbs, they were all ok, but it was a good checkup anyway, that way I know I don't have something burnt out that could be causing me an issue, at this point I have to surmise it is the switch that tells the light to come on. I am not using the CDL very often so I am not worried about forgeting I have it on, and I am used to backing up after disengaging anyway. Let me know though if there is something else I should try.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ColeCam said:
A couple days ago I lifted a front tire and it spun disengaged and locked up while engaged, thats the only way I know how to check it, is that right or should I do something else?

You didnt check it properly then. Center lock has nothing to do with end drive locking.
If you engage center lock your wheels on same axle are still open and you should be able to rotate them independently. Hence need for LSD/Full locks in differentials.

To check if CDL indeed engaged you can (in garage/parking lot):
- raise vehicle off the ground on 4 points, lock CDL, put it in D and then try to stop both wheels on same axle. If you can do it - its not engaged (there should be certain amount of force to stop them btw, even with non locked CDL).
- take one, then another driveshaft off, lock CDL and drive with each one. If you can drive on both - then your CDL is working (but this is way harder than first one)

you can also try to do it with vehicle lifted off ground on one side only (i.e both left/right wheels in air) but its very unsafe.

Oh - and i wouldnt be worried about forgetting that your CDL is engaged. On non slippery surface with engaged CDL your truck will feels like its riding on rails. Very distinctive feeling :)

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I must have been misinformed...I try it tonight. Although I am still 90% sure I can feel it on when I am driving; rides different. Anyways, thanks for the advice, I wont do the locker test anymore.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem :) We all been there. In fact that one was first test i done on me truck after getting it home - even though i had light on.

C

campbell

You should be able to tell if it is still locked when driving on pavement. On softer ground it may be difficult, but pn pavement you should surely tell a difference.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM