diff-loc warning light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The couple days I spent putting wd40and graphite in my ignition cylinder has it turning really smoothly now, hopefully that will solve it and it isn't just the calm before the storm.
I took my disco out to test the diff-loc and could not get the diff-loc warning light to come on, however I could tell it was engaging and every position slipped into place, I have had several different 4x4s so I can tell when I am in low and locked... but the light didn't come on. I am 95% sure I was able to lock up, so is there just a sensor or warning light out or something more?

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe it is a sensor.

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool. I was hoping that was all because everything seemed to be working perfect otherwise.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Cole --Try and remove the bezel and make sure the light is just not burned out. They are little bulbs that you can get @ the local LR dealership (like maybe $$4.00). My transmission bulb was burned out behind the dash---And on a long road trip it never came on.. Good thing we pulled over when we did. The trans was HOT AS HE**!!
Best, Mel

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mel, I will check that out because I think that is my problem, and I will go ahead and check the other bulbs too, most flash on right after ignition, but I don't ever recall seeing the diff-loc light ever flash, (I dont know if it is supposed to or not). What is the easiest way to get to those bulbs?

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't remember the diff lock light coming on at startup on mine. Well, I won't ever know now, unless I fix the shifter so the light will actually turn off when it's not locked.

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
Hey Cole. To the left and the right of the bezel there will be four switches. They will all pull out -- be careful becasue there are wires behind them. Then you will see two screws right above the steering wheel. Un-screw them push the steering wheel down and the cover should come off. I think.. I am doing this off of memory --SO PLEASE BE CAREFUL!!!
My CDL light does not flicker yet.. Ha Ha!! But it does take awhile to turn off once I unlock/lock the diff.. I think this is due to trans wind up or down?? Hope it helps, Cole.
Mel

RoverChic

I love Ryan and Rovers
Reaction score
The CDL should not come on when you start the Rover up. CEL (yellow), Anti-Lock (yellow), Battery(red) , Oil Pressure (red)... That should be all on start up. Then the only one that should remain on when driving (over 5 mph it will extinguish)...Is the Anti-Lock light. Or like on my rover the Check Engine light .. Which I just clear with my OBD2 because it annoys me!! After I write the codes down.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Cole,

I am sure that I am just adding a useless post, but I better make sure. You are aware that straight forward is Low Range, Back is High. Shifting to the left locks into dif-lock and then to the right disengages the dif-lock. Some Disco's that have not had the dif-lock used may or may not work correctly (i.e. the shifter is frozen with rust).

I hope that this is a pointless post and you can tell me to step to the back of the bus.... :creep:

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joey-
No need to go to the back of the bus but I shifted to the left, tried it locked in high and low and it definitely worked, but no light... I don't mind basic hints though, my grand cherokee just has the high-low so it could be confusing to some. Mechanically speaking I can tell everything thats going on but since my last rig was a 75 cruiser, fancy things like electronic ignition and warning lights are my weakness :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM