Disco 2 automatic gearbox slipping and overheating? HELP PLS X

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sonandton

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Am new here, but been having problems with my disco 2 for over 6 months, and am hoping someone can possibly help.
Basically it is an auto gearbox, TD5 2001, diesel, newish oil filter on the gearbox, new oil, oil radiator etc.
It starts in D from cold, drives off fine, goes up through the gears relatively smoothly, and gets upto 4th without any issues. Drives fine for about 15- 20 minutes.
The problems start once she gets warmed up? It feels like the gears slip?
An example;I could be on a motorway , with a slight incline so you push down to get a bit more power to compensate for the hill, and the power just seems to drain off.... So you push down to the floor to force a gear change and she goes clunk up, clunk down and takes a few seconds to decide which gear to stay in, eventually settling in what sounds like an ok gear for the speed. This becomes a more and more frequent occurence the longer you continue to drive, thus rendering any journey nigh on impossible after 45 minutes or so, with the temperature gauge hitting the roof, and the smell of burning, and the area around the gear stick feeling hot to touch.

So, after countless trips to the garage, the oil radiator was thought to be leaking, was replaced, as was the oil filter on the box, and the oil inside the radiator. Having not resolved the problem the garage then said the gearbox needed replacing, so paid a fortune, and it was fitted with a refurbished box, new oil pump, new torque converter, the lot.... I Still have the same problem.
Anyone got any ideas? As the garage don't have any more suggestions?
many thanks, Sonia

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo