Discovery I wheel lug problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MichaelRoder

Reaction score
http://forums.landroverworld.org post

1997 Discovery I
Alloy wheels with stainless caps

I purchased new tires from Sears with the lifetime rotation and balancing. After a couple of times rotating the tires, Sears said it could not get the lugs off. In a hurry, I left and checked the next day. One lug was rounded and the tire lug wrench would not fit over any of the others. 27 mm is the spec size. A 1.25" (28.575 mm) would not fit on them. I was able to get a 1.25" (31.75 mm) impact socket on all except one (with a small sledge hammer for several) and broke them loose. I could not do anything with the rounded one.

I talked with Rovers North and $15+ RNX043 was the original equipment replacement. For $19, I could use the NRC7415 92 Range Rover solid lug nut. He also told me to use copper antiseize on the threads.

Questions:
1. Will the NRC7415 solid nut work with the Alloy wheel like the dealer said?
2. If so, will it look a lot different?
3, Is there a difference between the copper and the grey antiseize material?
4. Is this distortion of the RNX043 stainless cap of the common and is it caused only by over torqueing?
5. Are NRC7415 and RNX043 Rover part numbers? Another dealer said the original lug Rover part number was PRD50056 and it cost twice as much!

Thanks for any help for this newbie. I reckon that I will have to become experienced since the nearest dealers are 3 and 4 hours away (and are expensive).

1sparrow

Reaction score
#1 -?
#2 -?
#3 copper is high temp.
#4 yes- impact wrench - worn / wrong size socket
#5 -?

meyersd

Reaction score
Best bet is to get some replacements off of e-bay, or someone who sells used parts like Roverland Parts. I keep a half dozen in the glove compartment, and change out the stripped ones when I put my snows on. I now take my truck to a place that uses a torque wrench to tighten and loosen lug nuts.

Last edited:

sandman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
never put antiseize on the lugnuts,

they dont seat fully and can walk off,

we are required to clean the hubs and put antiseize on the hubs and the clean the rims of the rust so they dont seize on their.

whiskeynipple

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes sears owes you lugs - - you cannot use nuematic (sp) tools on those lugs - I had the same thing happen when I bought my used D1 - at MD inspections they check the brakes - ie take the wheels off - and rounded over 15 lugs - I called them and complained and the ordered new ones and replaced them - this time by hand!...
as for taking off a rounded lug - in my experience you will need numatic to vibrate while it turns - - but let them deal with it...!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635