does feul grade really matter, and other silly questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

sgllr3

Can I put 87 octane in the LR3 V8? (CA octane is 87-91), and not create problems?
I personally drive lux cars and use 87 octane, but I lease, so what do I care. And so far the mileage isn't bad. But the lr3 has poor mileage to start.
My wife is looking at buying a new suv. we need a 7 seater for when family visits. We really don't need a balls out suv, but we occasionally travel through utah to nebraska, in winter. No matter what we look at, we keep coming back to LR for overall combined comfort/capacity/style.
I read reviews/forums looking for reasons to convince myself the lr3 is frought with problems like its predecessors, but so far they seem typical of any high end car.
Has anyone thought of buying near bare bones SE, and adding aftermarket nav/dvd movie/radio/tires, etc?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine was designed with a higher compression ratio that requires the higher octane fuel. There are many variables (environment, temperature, altitude, etc.), but there is a good chance you'll get worse gas mileage and less performance with lower than recommended fuel. In some cases, you may notice the engine just plain runs poorly. Anyway, going against the manufacturer's requirements all depends on what you think "matters."

If you want a people transport, buy a Toyota Sienna AWD. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
F

flowner

I think the engine actually requires 91 octane, which is hard to find. Once it a geat while I will mix some 93 with 89 to average out to 91. The engine actually seems run a little smother. But don't hold me to that. You'll save about a $1 at the pump.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't buy into the octane thing. My LR3 runs fine on 87. My service manager told me despite what people imagine to be true... they only fill the trucks with 87...

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing to "buy in" -- it really is an engineering design choice. What Land Rover advertises in their specifications is based on 91 octane fuel. As I said, some of it depends on your environment. Sorry, I didn't put them on a dyno to compare. If you can't tell the difference, enjoy. :)

(Updated: Actually, I did dyno... but only on a modified '01 S4 with multiple ECU programs for different octanes.)

madtownrover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may actually get better mileage with lower octane fuel...but under load you will decrease performance. Higher octane won't improve performance, but it can prevent your vehicle from pulling timing and reducing performance.

Manufacturers spec octane levels needed for th e most extreme operating conditions...in the LR3's case that probably means pulling a 7,000 trailer in 95 degree heat. If you are unsure, spend the extra cash and buy higher octane.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get better mileage with lower octan, plus I'm not pulling anything but my fat ass.

I maintain that octane requirements are a marketing idea from the oil companies and the vehicle manufacturers are in on it and I'd bet get a piece of gas sales for putting those stickers inside of your gas door.

S

sgllr3

re: the minivan (above)... ....

need I say more?

actually, minivans have very practical, well thought out interiors. My wife just cringes at the thought of driving one. Not to say that they're a bad concept, 'cause they're not. She just wants to drive in style, and so do I!

I don't think I'd feel as confident either. Last yr I drove from NE to CO in a blizzard, a 4.5 hr drive that took over 8. Cars were strewn throughout medians, ditches, and open fields, but my 97 pathfinder did just fine. And then there is the very icy summit driving over the Rockies, where if the tires aren't appropriate (?sienna), chains required. No Thanks!!

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FTC consumer FAQ regarding octane: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/autos/octane.htm :)

askewed, remember I'm basically at sea level here and I can't get away with 87 on most 91 octane vehicles. How high up are you normally? Just curious.

Yes, modern vehicles can compensate for lower octane by retarding the spark. But I personally find no reason to run my $50K vehicle under spec to save under $150/year.

askewed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in Princeton, NJ.

I drive about 20,000 miles a year for me the swing is a bit over $400. Not that that is my first concern...

All respect, people make a lot of noise with the "you spent 50k on this truck and can't go $400 more for gas" remarks here. In my eyes there is no shame in saving money and certainly no glory in over-paying. When I must do it, I do it begrudgingly. For example paying 50k for my LR3, I didn't enjoy that so much (even with the 4k we saved with that discount they have for fleet participants). You must know in your heart that what makes the LR3 better then an Explorer doesn't cost them 20k... That 3k DVD player option sells to installers for $900 and I have that straight from a local supplier. So my math the LR3 is worth about 18k if they doubled the number it would cost 36k.

If I own this truck for 5 years I'll save 2k by not using 91oct fuel. I've made this point before but... A companies goal (obviously) is to make money. And sometimes they lie (I know it's hard to believe) to do it. You don't need $200 cables for your DVD player, 91 octane fuel, trash bags that stretch or fruit grown at a special farm where the cows are toilet trained. It all sounds great but it's marketing. Other things that may surprise you include, Chris Rock is in Louisiana helping out AND he has a new show coming out next week. GASP! Your realtor doesn't do crap and you could sell your home without him with the help of a $600 attorney. A car salesman has NEVER told you the truth or had an honest conversation with you. My wife would rather be married to that kid from Smallville and on and on and on.

Brother I know if you hook that truck up to a computer it'll show that it's running "better" on 91 then on 89 but real-world use, it just doesn't effect me. I'm not on top of a mountain, pulling a 5th wheel or slooging through 2 feet of muck. I'm driving my wife to the train and picking up diapers. If the thing pings... I'll change. Short of that in 5 years I'll have saved enough money to hire a Malaysian ***** for a month!

**None of the sarcasm is aimed at you... just for fun**

Oh and the day I start listening to the goverment about what's best for me (FTC link) when the head of FEMA is a horse show judge manager (and a poor one at that) monkeys will fly out of my ass. No one is looking out for you but you...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112