Door lock actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How would I know if a door lock actuator is bad? I bought my 95 disco used, without an alarm fob and the locks do not go down when locking the drivers door lock, I hear no power at all.. If I buy an alarm fob do you think it will lock the doors?
Which actuator usually goes first?
My red light for the alarm always flashes, when I leve the vehicle.

Thanks,

lowwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im new to the disco thing my self but I did have the same problem. Do your drivers side lock go down? If it feels that it gets stuck than i would say its your drivers actuator. If it goes up and down with the key with no problem and the other door locks dont react then the last owners disconnected the switch. So now it will only be a manual door lock. Make any sense?

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, all my door locks push down freely and have to be locked with a key from the outside.. Where may I find the switch if it was disconnected? keep in mind, I also have no key fob for the remote.. If I get the key fob and program it, the locks may work??

Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you manually lock the drivers door and none of the other doors lock automatically, then you may have a wiring issue or someone by-passed the alarm system.

Zende

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Joey, Is this something I can fix myself or would i need a dealer? What wiring do I look for? Where would they pass the alarm and why?
Would it be more simple to install an aftermarket alarm?
Its really cold here and I ant to purchase and auto start..

Thanks

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want to purchase an auto start, then you do not want the factory alarm in a working state or it will cause all kinds of issues.

Here is the only info I have seen so far concerning the door lock wiring.

http://www.discoweb.org/doorlock.jpg

crownaviation

Reaction score
I recently lost the use of my door locks on my 96 Disco. This all appeared along with alarm malfunction (dead) and ignition issue (also dead). No fob either, and I suspect my problems are a byproduct of a nasty water leak from the poorly installed (factory) windshield. I really think I have a short somewhere, and could be your problem also (the short hopefully not a leak). This is a new issue for me, and initially thought the doors were alarm related. (still might be). If you are able to start your vehicle without the door lock operation, try this to see if your alarm will sound.

I am no expert but this is a test the manual says you can perform without the lavish help from your dealer!:bandit:

Per the Rave manual,

UNlock all the doors (while inside) including the hood (bonnet)
*when ready, (you only have 2-5 seconds)

pull the hood release
turn the ignition to "on" or the II position
open the driverside door
turn the key off, then back on

note the response from the alarm functions to see if anything happens.

This might help tell you if someone has bypassed the factory alarm. I have asked several people about this bypass but is highly discouraged. But, if yours is bypassed with no ill effects I might try to do the same on mine. I will follow the post and best of luck to you!

Last edited:

JoeMazzio

Reaction score
Why would someone bypass the door locks on one side and not the other? Is this something they just unplugged? What are the chances that its a fuse? Where are the fuses for the door?

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo