Electronic corrosion control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

discoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I pick up an Australian off-roading magazine a few years ago and it's filled with ads and an article about these devices that help prevent rust and corrosion on your vehicle. Many of the rigs mentioned in the rag use these devices. Apparently, on the east coast of Australia, there is a heavy salt content in the soil there. And there are some government vehicles that do alot of work there, especially on the beaches, and they have to replace the vehicles every two years because they are completly toast because of corrosion. They slap on this device and bingo, they can now go 3-4 years per vehicle.
I can't remember exactly how they worked, but the devices are attached to the vehicles frame and/or body and are tied into the electrical system. I guess it is similar sience to that of electrolisis.
Anyway, a few north america magazines have done articles on these things too.
Has anybody had an experience with these???? Do they work???
I live in a rust belt with lots of salt and calcium chloride (worse than salt) in the winter. The steel parts in my rover are showing signs of breaking down as well as the odd aluminum part. It's totally fixable right now, but I do want to slow down the process.
Any thots people????????????????????

Nvd

Reaction score
My father has a 2004 Dodge Ram Hemi w/ a dealer installed type of device bolted to the frame under the hood. Initially I thought it was B/S but 2 years later (also in the rust belt of the great North east) NO sign of rust or corrosion.
I still have no idea on how it works though.
Good Luck

N

NHESS81

LOL, I think its more of a myth. Hope to be proven wrong though, would like to slap a few around my window sills hahaha....anyone else have experience or know how it works?

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What you're referring to is called Cathodic protection. It is used on water and fuel storage tanks, pipelines, steel piles, ships etc.

Cathodic protection controls the corrosion of a metal surface by making that surface the cathode of an electrochemical cell. A sacrificial anode is used where the corrosion will occur until the anode is used up.

Anodes are designed and selected to have a more "active" voltage (technically a more negative electrochemical potential) than the metal of the structure (typically steel). For effective CP, the potential of the steel surface is polarized (pushed) more negative until the surface has a uniform potential. At that stage, the driving force for the corrosion reaction is halted. The anode continues to corrode, consuming the anode material until eventually it must be replaced. The polarization is caused by the current flow from the anode to the cathode. The driving force for the CP current flow is the difference in electrochemical potential between the anode and the cathode.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
er...so.....you're saying you think it works? I too did a very thorough technical analysis (google). It kinda sounds like B.S. - at least for cars. If it worked you can bet the mainstream media might have mentioned it before and we'd all have one. Analysis complete :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4