Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got an IID tool, and after doing my first scan, i have 1 code that i kind of expected since my parking brake does not work. The replacement of the module seems like a daunting task that I would love to avoid.

Symptoms:
I get a loud screeching when parking brake is [attempted] to be applied.
Parking brake does not engage
Error message on dash appears.

Temporary solution:
A combination of clearing codes, pulling on brake release cable, and restarting the car remove the dash light.

IID code: U0128-00 (2E) Lost communication with parking brake control module

Even though i get the loud screech when activating the brake, which usually signifies the actuator is the problem, this code makes me wonder if my parking brake failure is due to an electronic problem rather than mechanical.

Does anyone have any additional suggestions to diagnose this?

So far I plan to:
Confirm parking brake shoes are adjusted properly.
Apply/test parking brake
Run unjam procedure

If the above steps do not work, does it 100% confirm the EPB actuator is bad? or is there another electrical module that could be causing the issue?...that may be easier to replace.

Thanks in advance.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After adjusting the shoes and doing the unjam procedure, I got a message of " operation failed E 0" on the iid tool. Combined with the fact that the screeching continues, along with dash warning lights, I assume the fix is to replace the EPB actuator.

Has anyone actually attempted this themselves?

Any threads i see end up with the car being taken to the dealer.
And the one video I see shows it being a huge PITA with difficult access, rusted and broken bolts.

Last edited:

rolledover

Reaction score
I just had pretty much the exact same issue not long ago. Same error with iiD tool as well. Mine would also screech any time vehicle was put in gear after startup as it was trying to disengage. I looked at doing it myself, but it seemed like a nightmare. $2500 later it works great and is under warranty, if only for a year. I got charged $1k for the actuator but if bought from the UK I've seen it for around $450.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had pretty much the exact same issue not long ago. Same error with iiD tool as well. Mine would also screech any time vehicle was put in gear after startup as it was trying to disengage. I looked at doing it myself, but it seemed like a nightmare. $2500 later it works great and is under warranty, if only for a year. I got charged $1k for the actuator but if bought from the UK I've seen it for around $450.

thanks for the non-encouragment to DIY. lol
As of last night when trying to diagnose, I now have flashing "PARK" light on my dash that is very annoying. this alone makes it worth fixing. ill try to turn of this light by clearing codes, disconnecting battery, etc.

Cheapest i can find it $725. haven't even priced labor, but id expect about $1k min.
This is on my daily driver/beater car and im not looking to invest that much into it. ill do everything i can before i go that route.

I am going to try and leave the EPB it in place and follow the instructions in this thread.
http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic91299.html

If i find there is enough room doing the above, I will replace the gears while im in there, based on this this video:

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to change my direction in this problem, and now I just want to get rid if the dash lights associated with this. The tight space and rust buildup is not worth my time or hassle for the couple times a year I would typically use the brake.

Currently have the red triangle with "parking brake not on" message, and the "park" light constantly flashing. The brake is jot engaged and the car drives fine.

No combination of pulling the emergency release cable, iid unjam procedure, clearing the fault, or battery disconnecting has worked in removing the dash lights.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A local reputable shop has quoted me $500 labor to replace the EPB actuator. Seems too good to be true....
Im thinking that for $800 part+$500 labor i should hop all over that.

EDIT: i was honest with the shop and questioned their price since it seemed too good to be true. They changed their estimate to $900 labor. I found the part for $800.

Ive decided that ill just pay to have it replaced, working properly, warrantied, and save days of my time.

Last edited:

rolledover

Reaction score
Didn't mean to be a downer on the DIY idea, I had contemplated replacing myself but the more I read the less I wanted to. Even the shop I had do it said it was a major PITA. That's a pretty reasonable price, I think book time on it is 6 hours. I also had to replace shoes, rotors, and dust shields otherwise it wouldn't have been as much. If it wasn't for the dash lights I probably wouldn't have fixed it either.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't mean to be a downer on the DIY idea, I had contemplated replacing myself but the more I read the less I wanted to. Even the shop I had do it said it was a major PITA. That's a pretty reasonable price, I think book time on it is 6 hours. I also had to replace shoes, rotors, and dust shields otherwise it wouldn't have been as much. If it wasn't for the dash lights I probably wouldn't have fixed it either.

Yea, i have tackled some pretty intense repairs. Id rather do a 20 hour job that goes as planned, rather than a 6 hour job that fights me all along the way. I just know the EPB is one of those "6 hour" jobs.

kenk

Reaction score
Mine went out last weekend. The repair shop also said it’s a pain, a $2200 job, and discouraged me from having them do it unless I really use it. This video is not encouraging to the DIY’er but fairly informative.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA