Engine gone - No oil light came on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Loveland

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new in here.

My Disco 4 61 plate went bang last week. Very loud knocking noise from the engine.

The 4x4 garage the car was recovered to drained the oil and there was just 800ml of oil in the engine. I've had no warning lights suggesting low oil...

Has this happened to anyone on here before?

Currently looking at a new engine out of warrenty. Something I cannot afford at the moment...£8-12k.

I've spoken to Land Rover HQ and they want the vehicle inspected for a possible fault on the oil level warning system.

Help...please!

Loveland

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me today. No warning at all. Car never stopped running but started making sounds. Now dealer says I need a new engine. Need help and advice please.

Loveland

Reaction score
Sparrowhawk, Did you ever get resolution to this situation by working with Land Rover Corporate?

I just had a very similar situation no low oil warning light, in my 2011 LR4 106,000 miles. Engine Seized! Devastating!!

Loveland

Reaction score
Please let me know if you resolved your issue. Just had this happen to me

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not install an oil pressure gauge vs waiting for the IDIOT light to POSSIBLY go on before you destroy an engine?
What happened to the low oil pressure sensor unit that shut down the fuel pump saving the engines?

Oil pressure gauge the first upgrade to the 95 D1 the second week of ownership.
Also installed a low oil presure fuel pump cutout sensor that activates a loud electronic warning alarm plus a pre-oiler allowing pressurized oil engine and bearings before every morning cold start.
Where manufasctures cut corners and stop is the beginning of adding protective engine features.

Warned the LR dealership the engine pressure was too low at idle and highway rpm's hence a rercoeded slow death but told not to worry. Good thing there was a long paper trail of this issue. Best part the old 3.9 became a 4.6 a factory new shortblock almost FREE.
Long live the push rod engines......~~=o&o>......

Last edited:

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes this is my intent is to have it torn down at another location with no stake in the game, so to speak. We will video the tear down, for certain!!

Not to my surprise, yesterday I was told by the dealer that my Land Rover parts & labor warranty will be void if the tear down is not done by a Certified Land Rover Facility. This is boarderline collusion!!! That leaves me with 2 options in my area. Both of which are extremely shady!!!

They are fixated on the fact that the engine seized due to low oil pressure. (But with No warning lights of low oil level/low oil pressure, nor any temperature warnings....this is possible but not likely given they moved the car 50 ft on a cold start). This is their speculation to get me to not tear it down and are trying extremely hard to advise against it!!! Also placing a heavy sticker price on the tear down at $3k for the dealer to do it. I definitely wont have them tear it down, and based on what we find during tear down, take it court!

@BeemerNut- Did you win your battle against Corporate LR??

Sorry late reply, I do not hang around LR forums much as I have a trouble free 95 D1 after several years of tricks and modifications. Gas and go.

With LRNA they are worse than asking the mafia for $10K and not paying them back.
They did cover labor and parts like gaskets not on LR's list. The engine paid for by Western General the 7/100K extended warranty the PO paid for which I had two years to get every stinking issues taken care of.
Hell saved them money as they could not find a 3.9 factory short block replacement hence weeks of delays. I solved the problem locating a 4.6 short block at a savings for them.
How nice is that a 4.6 vs 3.9 engine which was my plan a month after ownership as this pig lacked horsepower.
Funny as hell a LR 4.6 short block comes without cam and lifters plus timing gear set which is that link belt rubbish.
I had a Piper cam (upgraded lift and duration) plus lifters and a double roller timing set in the wait. Also the Mark Adams "Tornado" chip to fuel the 4.6 properly which passes Kalifornia smog. Bosch 4 hole injectors vs Lucas dribble 80's design rubbish. "Borrowed" the heads and had them upgraded, larger seats and valves plus gave it a port match job and porting before the new engine arrived.
Once out of the dealership and home the 4.6 mass meter and ram cold air install then break in time. Milled out a intake ram tube spacer extension, a very flexible rpm range engine running way better than expected.
Western General in SoCal will not insure LR's, Ferrari and Porsche I believe, as well DeLorean due to their profit losses under warranty coverage. Made me laugh as I have a 81 DeLorean of 314 total miles, Western Gerneral couldn't wait until the 95 D1 coverage had expired.

Must mention dad's lifetime friend and a high power attorney's letter to Western General made them think in my favor after finding out LR removed the crank while engine still in the Disco thinking a dirty patch job including reinstalling the failing oil pump again. GOTCHA, two can play these dirty trick games.
Plastic radiator burp plug POS that break off and fail vs older RR's that had a brass plug with O-ring, several other upgrades plus a larger 100% brass custom radiator, 180*F stat, fully greaseable suspension joints and Poly bushings all around.
Built the way LR should of done day one vs adding extra cup holders.
From a slow **** that would of been on it's roof in mountain twisties to having fun with increased Hp with the 5 spd it has that does twisties at much higher speeds with solid confidence.

LR like Mercedes but not the Mercedes of the 50's and 60's era quality and reliability now living off past reputation. Mercedes hovering at the bottom of the list of these day as the most unreliable.
LR well you know where they place on the list.
A lot of people I never meet before plus others that know me did reply, "why a LR with their unreliable issues?". Years later i'm still running without issues. Yeah years to get it redone my way.

If you can't work on it yourself don't own it plus a OB1 vehicle for several reasons.

LR engine in LR not a Chubbie butcher install. Like a 34 Ford Coupe with a upgraded Ford not a Chubbie engine install.
With ported cast iron exhaust manifolds (looking stock to pass the smog visual), Borla Cat back exhaust, MagnaFlow high flow Cats w/5 spd it sounds like a 298 Mustang with Glasspacks when stirring the stick......~~=o&o>.......

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72