EPB Part #

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Deep joy. Looks like my EPB module may have fallen off its perch and can't get back up. Beautiful plumage my a*se ;-)

Anyway it seems there have been several revisions and an overlap on part number with the RRS - I have an 07 LR3 and I did find some reasonable pricing on the SNF500150 part #. Will this work on the LR3 for my model year ?

It doesn't seem like the latest and greatest are any more resilient with their nylon gears....anybody done a deep dive who cares to share ?

Quote from local dealer is $1300 parts and labour....for something I plan to leave in the "off" position that smarts. Only need the damn thing working long enough for a state inspection....its an auto transmission BTW.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know but that price is outrageous! Should be <$500.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know but that price is outrageous! Should be <$500.

They claim four hours labour and I think the part is listed at $800. I'm going to make sure the module is really toast before I think about laying out that cash. Does anybody recommend an indie LR shop in Austin Texas area?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't recommend an indie shop but you would KNOW if the unit is toast. The EPB will howl like a banchee if it's actuator is shot.

Good luck; I believe there are some Texans on this board so hopefully they can get you to a good shop.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't recommend an indie shop but you would KNOW if the unit is toast. The EPB will howl like a banchee if it's actuator is shot.

Good luck; I believe there are some Texans on this board so hopefully they can get you to a good shop.

That's what makes me suspicious. I had to have the brake shoes replaced when the EPB locked on solid and wouldn't even release manually, requiring a tow home on a dolley. My neighbor and I managed to get the back disks off and remove the toasted shoes. I pulled the fuse on the EPB to avoid any further screams. The LR dealer did the shoe adjustment which they billed me for a hour labor then said when they replaced the fuse nothing happened. They wanted to bill me a further hour investigation and claimed that might lead to replacing the EPB module. They claimed there were a lot of communication failure codes which needed to be cleared due to the fuse pull.

I've got a Faultmate so I plan to reinstate the fuse and check for codes. As you say, I don't think the EPB goes quietly and I'm hoping that being pre-emptive and pulling the fuse might have saved the gears from stripping. Anybody else come across an EPB module that was just silently dead ? Yes, I did even ask them if they replaced the fuse first ;-)

It's my first visit to this dealer and I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt that they just wanted to do a swap out. Also their quote for four hours time seems an hour out based on some of the Alldata information which rates the job at 2.8 hours non-warranty. Anybody got any comments or access to the LR labour time book ? Maybe they were trying to be nice by quoting me at the high end and the final bill was going to be lower. But not so sure.

The irony is that their service manager told me he never uses the EPB on his LR either ;-)

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's generally gear stripping that kills the EPB, it would be *nice* if there was a rebuild kit to replace gears. Theres the labour element of getting to the module and into it but a rebuild kit would have to come in way less than $700.

I fly RC planes and we can buy servos with metal gearing or plastic gearing, depending on the expected load. Why don't they make these things with gearing up to the expected wear ?

Oh silly me.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. Update time :mad:

After doing the ritual adjustment on the shoes, the EPB is no longer screaming but making a hunting type sound as featured on the You Tube video.

Tried the unjam and latch via Faultmate but no banana. At this point I'm guessing the module is toasted. It’s the SNF500150 which appears to be replaced by the LR019223. Don't know if that is actually any better or different as in improved. I may be able to get the "older" unit for salvage price of $350.

So, anybody done their own and in hindsight would still do it ? I have the service manual but wonder if there are any "if I knew then what I know now" addendum that would be greatly appreciated. If you're in Austin Texas and fancy helping a fellow LR3er out for beer and BBQ even better....

-- Stuart

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When mine failed it was a silent failure. I forget the exact code and description that came up on the faultmate but something to the effect of drive motor b winding failure? It just didn't release the shoe on one side and I had to pull the emergency release which didn't work btw. I know I answered your email too but the replacement of the epb is only difficult because of how tight it is just to get to it. No reason you can't do it your self but it will be like a puzzle that you are solving both during removal and reassembly.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM