Evaporator Core Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXLR4

Reaction score
Well, we've only had the LR4 a few weeks and I'm occassionally getting that musty smell out of the vents when you first fire everything up. I remeber a dealer mentioning the evaporator core being cleaned as part of their "service package" at some point.

I've cleaned these on other vehicles with a can of cleaner that foams up and covers the evaporator coil, then just drains out. Anyone done this one an LR4? I pulled the pollen filter last night and felt the fan just below it. I would assume the evaporator core is right around here.

Any help would be appreciated.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of this... why would you have to do anything with the a/c system on a brand new vehicle?

TXLR4

Reaction score
I have never heard of this... why would you have to do anything with the a/c system on a brand new vehicle?

I haven't either, but the fact of the matter is…there's an odor there and this isn't quite brand new. It was a dealer demo that they took delivery of in July, so it had about 3,000 miles on it. my guess is there was a lot of short trips on it, and it was in TN where it gets pretty hot.

This is a very common problem here in Texas because of the humidity.

So...has anyone done this cleaning? usually you just have to find the drain for the evaporator coil and then feed the tube provided with the can up through there.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The service manual has a lot of info about the system. Looks like a real pain to work on.

ScreenShot2013-11-27at82920AM_zps40d20fc5.png

TXLR4

Reaction score
I'm guessing that picture isn't drawn to scale because i highly doubt the evaporator is that large...but nonetheless i agree that doesn't look overly convenient to get to. Usually the best way to accomplish the task is to go in through the drain hole.

Sounds like no one has attempted this at all? I might have to crawl under there and look to see if I can locate the drain. Just isn't something I'm interested in paying the dealer for...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4