expectations of repair costs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahhhhh......that makes sense.

Mine sits for a week and I don't notice jack $hit. Then again, I usually put it in Access height when I park it for more than a day, just to release any pressure from the springs. I don't know if that's how it works or not, but it makes me feel better! :)

@tlt: I did the air cannister replacement a while back. Should still be okay.

Brentski

Reaction score
I am so appreciative of all the informative responses. I'm so glad to have access to good information through this forum as well as speaking with Eric at Lucky 8. I'm already feeling some anxiety leaving me as I'm becoming more familiar with my first Land Rover.

To start, I live in Woodstock, Ga (small town on the north side of Atlanta OTP). I noticed the it sitting lower in the morning and raising to driving height when I started it up. I did pull the fuse, but couldn't discern any particular corner lower than the others in the morning. Eric (really nice guy) at Lucky 8 suggested to follow the air lines with soapy water and look for bubbles. I was having trouble following the air lines as it snaked through the chassis. I decided to take it to a local shop (European Auto Repair on Canton Hwy). I brought it in early morning and listed my concerns as having a broken disc pad wear sensor (I'm the dumkopf who broke it doing the brakes), a metallic rubbing sound from the rear end at low speeds, and some negative camber wear on the rear tires. It was 3 days before they had a chance to look at it (I was told they had to take care of their "regular" customers first, not first come first serve but "regulars" first). The mechanic said the right rear strut air bag was shot, need new compressor and when I asked about the metal rub sound, and informed him when I did the brakes the plugs on the rear rotors were missing, he looked at me like I was nuts and said the sound I heard was the air leak. When he quoted me $1800 in parts and 7 hours of labor, I told him I think I could get them at a better price and asked for the keys, they then charged me $190 diagnostic. Really, $190 diagnostic and no work done. I may have been spoiled but it's been my experience that a diagnostic was only billed if work was to be done and then part of the hourly rate.

I promptly took it to another shop where they were able to agree that the right rear air strut was bad, outer bladder was disintegrating and the inner bladder was leaking. They said my compressor was running strong and had no problems. Long story short they also identified a small oil leak, and noted that the front right bearings were starting to show wear. Now, they had a hard time finding the rear air strut and also said they could only find it at the LR dealership ($800), and it would be two days. I ordered two rear air OEM struts (as they said the left rear was holding air, but was showing a lot of cracking on the outer bladder) and had them fed-exed overnight to their shop from Atlantic British for $821. Also $420 labor to install both. Owner told me he will have me up and running and ready to be picked up by close of business today.

I will let you all know how everything turned out.

Thank you all again for your feedback.

Brentski

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are guys I know that know what they are doing.. I don't know how their rates are but I know they do good work, and they are close to you.

Bear Valley Service
http://landrover-repair-atlanta.com/
Phone: (770) 645-9035
Billing Address:
10390 Alpharetta Street
Roswell, GA 30075

Brentski

Reaction score
Just wanted to give you all an update, as I have finally reached resolution to the case of the saggy suspension.

I was glad the second shop seemed more reasonable, and they were able to get me on the road before I had a family road trip to Savannah for the weekend. I was a little concerned as the morning before the road trip, it looked low. And sure enough, 100 miles out of town my old friend the suspension fault light reappeared! On top of that, 10 miles from Savannah, the check engine light!

I ran really low on gas when the light came on and thought (hoped) that's what it was. The following week upon return it came on again.

I took the advice given by TLT (the above post) and took it to Bear Valley Service. What excellent advice it was! The check engine light was due to an aftermarket Mass Airflow Sensor. He said for the last few years he's noticed almost all aftermarket (Non-genuine part) MAF sensors are bad.

Now as for the case of the saggy suspension.....

valve stuck open in the leveling valve!!! Part: Transfer relief front axle sport $157.83, 1.5 hours labor $165.00

It is such a relief!! Not only to have the issues fixed (and fixed right), but also to have a trusted mechanic who really does know Land Rovers (as Land Rovers and Range Rovers is all they do) for advice and parts!

HUGE Thanks to TLT for recommending them to me!!

Brentski

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brett & Co have been great customers of mine, and you just know when you talk to someone who knows what they are doing and do great work... I am very glad things are getting sorted out..

Brentski

Reaction score
Oh boy, so am I. It's a great comfort to me to know them. Brett is an especially nice guy too. Even walked through what maintenance he noticed was done, not done, needs to be done, can be skipped etc.

Now I can focus on the fun stuff like AT tires, Safari racks, Rick sliders etc!

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In LR3 ownership a good, trustworthy mechanic is more important than anything else! Now go buy a brake switch and stick it in the glove box!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now go buy a brake switch and stick it in the glove box!

So true! And carry a flashlight and Phillips screwdriver with you so you can remove the lower dash panel.

I got the "Christmas tree of death" light display on the dashboard in heavy traffic in NYC. Suspension lowered and restricted performance. Limped into a parking garage and gave the attendant $20 to let me work on my LR3 for 15 minutes. I had a spare brake light switch in the glove box that I bought from Atlantic British. I popped off the lower dash panel, installed the new switch, started it up and all was well again.

djatkinson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In LR3 ownership a good, trustworthy mechanic is more important than anything else! Now go buy a brake switch and stick it in the glove box!

I just read the last few threads relating to the brake switch. Please enlighten me about this. Is this 'one of those things' that goes wrong with the LR3, that requires one to be always vigilant? If so, could you provide a part #? Any other things like that, or should I start a new thread? I don't like the thought of getting stranded somewhere because I wasn't prepared for such a problem. Bear with me, I'm a relative newbie here. (I wonder how long I'll be able to use that lame excuse! :creep:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM