Firewall routing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geoaustin

Reaction score
Has anyone successfully routed large gauge wires from the battery through the firewall? If so, where would be the best location, or should I have the dealer do it and place a couple of terminals in the back. I am an amature radio operator and would like to install a radio that draws 22amps at maximum use. Right now I have a smaller radio that draws 8 amps connected to the accessory (manual says the plugs are rated to 10amps) plug in the back, but this solution will not work with the new radio. Thanks.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I struggled with this for quite some time. I got to the point that I was 5min away from boring a new whole, filing, grommet, etc. As I planned the location, I noticed that I may be able to get through the firewall using a current gasket. From memory, it is the steering arm gasket. To get to it, you have to take out that spare box on the drivers side. I believe I put a small slice in the heavy rubber, ran the cable through, and then sealed it silicone sealant. I covered all wire in looming and secured with zip ties.

Make no mistake. . . I spent hours trying to locate the best place. It was the toughest vehicle I have run into for this. The good news is that it works perfectly.

Bluebird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think that will affect the "wading" depth of the vehicle? 34" if memory serves.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I take my vehicle off road and sometimes cross streams, wade in water, etc. The grommet is not waterproof in the first place. It is high up on the firewall, which is high up in the vehicle relative to the ground. It is part of the vehicle body not the frame which rises with the air suspension. If you flood the vehicle this high in water, you are in a world of hurt. In addition, if it is this high behind the engine, you are not wading correctly, as you actually want to create a slight bow wave thus pushing the water to the side, not actually standing in it.

Not to mention, I did silcone where the wire enters the vehicle. this was more to keep moisture and dust out, and to reinforce the area.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made a mistake. I actually routed the cables through the A/C firewall access port, NOT the steering linkage. I just went and checked as it didn't sound right. (Old memory failing. . .) The A/C low and high pipe go through the firewall via an approximately 1.5" by 3" oblong cut out parrell to the gound. It is very high up on the firewall, and is surronded by very pliable foam/gasket. You can put a small slice, or kind of push through it easily. There is plenty of room for 4gauge+

Sorry for the confusion.

geoaustin

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the recommendation. I will investigate it this week.

fidhleir

Reaction score
If you remove the battery and lift the fuse box, there's a large grommet that carries a wire harness through the firewall. That's where I routed mine at the recommendation of a dealer mechanic. I mounted the radio under the front passenger seat, routing the power wires under the passenger door threshold plate.

Tom
K6TDL

geoaustin

Reaction score
Would there be a problem routing the wire through the steering column grommet? Looks like there is plenty of room and easy access.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112