CTEK battery maintainer cable routing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ahh, you're thinking to mount the CTEK in the car. I was just wanting to leave the "ComfortConnect" plug (its like an updated version of the commonly used SAE plug) hanging out the front and not keep the charger itself under the hood.

You are correct, I was. If you aren't, consider the benefits before you make a decision.

Mount the charger under-hood and then throw an extension cord in the truck and charge anywhere.

Depends on your use case, I guess. I have a charger set-up on mine that way and I use it all the time when road tripping and camping, but mine is really a recreation only vehicle at this point. For that use, being able to top up the batteries anytime an electrical outlet is handy is very helpful.

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you park outside you might be interested in one of the solar panel hood kits. I think they're about 100 watts.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This looks cool -- no idea why it says "will not work with CTEK chargers"

I used a CTEK maintainer on my previous car. What I had to do was reverse feed the cable from outside to inside, and then re-crimp the battery connections back into place once the wires were routed through. Have you tried this approach? Nothing magical about cutting off a plug and reattaching it after you've run it, if the size is in the way.

That will probably be the way to go -- was just trying to save myself the (admittedly small) amount of labor.

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are correct, I was. If you aren't, consider the benefits before you make a decision.

Mount the charger under-hood and then throw an extension cord in the truck and charge anywhere.

Depends on your use case, I guess. I have a charger set-up on mine that way and I use it all the time when road tripping and camping, but mine is really a recreation only vehicle at this point. For that use, being able to top up the batteries anytime an electrical outlet is handy is very helpful.

I can see the advantage of always having it there.... I just figure if I'm going somewhere to charge, I can throw the charging unit in the car.
If you park outside you might be interested in one of the solar panel hood kits. I think they're about 100 watts.

I am lucky enough to have a garage. I'm guessing those 100W panels aren't putting out anywhere near that under 20W fluorescent bulbs though

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can see the advantage of always having it there.... I just figure if I'm going somewhere to charge, I can throw the charging unit in the car.

I am lucky enough to have a garage. I'm guessing those 100W panels aren't putting out anywhere near that under 20W fluorescent bulbs though

I have one of the solar panels on the hood. Even in direct sunlight, I have never seen it put out more than 80 watts, BUT it has been revolutionary in dealing with the damned "smart" charging on these trucks. Keeping a set of two batteries at full charge on these trucks had been a constant struggle because the truck fights to keep you from getting there. We have had numerous discussions on this "feature" on this forum.

With that panel constantly feeding in some power during daylight hours mine stay at a constant 12.8-12.9 volts. I ran an admittedly non-scientific test in my driveway where I left my refrigerator running for seven days and would occasionally open a door or otherwise wake up the truck to simulate camping. After 7 days the truck fired right up on the first crank. If you travel and boondock camp in one of these trucks, that solar panel is absolutely worth it.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV