First road trip with LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got all the pre-existing conditions sorted on the LR3 and we took a nice trip.

There was 6 of us, a dog and a 11month old baby spread across a LR3 and an 07 Expedition. Both cars were fully loaded and had ski hitches attached.

We started in Portland and went to Mt hood for 4 nights, driving around snowy roads and up and down to Timberline lodge. Neither car missed a beat. Then we drove down to Bend and spent 4 nights there, a long cruise through the Oregon high desert...

We spent 4 days in and out of the snow line, no problems, the Expedition has snow tires, but the LR3 is rocking some all weathers. no problems!

We returned home through the high desert and Mt hood, a little slippy in the shadows, but nothing to worry about.

In all we managed:

554 miles
18MPG
No failures or any hiccups
a couple of small slides on ice.

Now we are ready for that oil change, service and a good cleaning :)

We are very happy that the LR3 proved so comfortable and reliable. Even more so than the Expedition. My wife was actually very happy!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good to hear. Can we assume that during your small slides on the ice, the TC kicked in and kept you headed where you intended to go?

GSMblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good question...

Initially I was playing a bit in a snowy parking lot at low speed, and I got the computers to do some work, this was the first time I could actually test that it all worked!

When actually driving, the couple of small slips were so short that the computers did not do anything. Well, at least no lights came on, who knows what was going on behind the scenes...

It was fun being in the "mud snow and gravel" mode, the behavior of the LR3 changes so much. I really liked the change of throttle response and the vehicle did seem to have better traction in the corners.

I have a fair amount of winter driving experience and I drive very conservatively in anything less than ideal conditions. If it had been my wife driving, I am sure the dash would have lit up like a christmas tree...

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was working.

I kind of think the anti skid was at work.

About the only indication you might get is the noise of one tyre braking/slipping - the system is that good.

For what it is worth, the 3 has one of the lowest single vehicle accidents rates of all vehicles on the road. That is a polite way of saying statistically, their owners do not inadvertently drive it off the road.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112