Discover 4 2012 with 6HP28 ZF transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dreaded190

Reaction score
Hi All,

Need some advice,

We need to replace the Transmission filter and transmission fluid on that transmission,

The problem as some of you might know is that there are two crossmember in the way, on at the back can removed but the one in front seems to be part of the main frame,

Yes i know there is a steel sump that we could have got but we dont really get them here, we only have the plastic filter with the protruding intake,

I guess we have to lift the engine? i have no idea any advice would be appreciated

I have been searching forms for like a week straight cant find info on this specific job,

Discovery 4 2012
6HP28

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I do the trans pan.
I remove the transfer case crossmember, the right side motor mount nut, the air intake tube, and the upper fan shroud cover.
Jack the motor up from the right side, this will give the room needed to remove the pan.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read this entire thread, as I have done, before embarking on this journey.
We need an AI to summarize it. Anyone? Beuller?

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a LONG thread on that, which can all be summarized as "watch this video":

Video is for LR3/Disco3 but LR4 is the same. I've done the job on 2011 LR4 and 2013 RRS. Each job took me ~5 hours.

Only real "trick" was to use a very small ratchet (the sort usually used for turning screws) to access the bolts above the crossmember.

Didn't remove the crossmember, didn't lift the engine, nothing complicated...just a bit of cursing and a bottle of shampoo when I was done to wash the transmission fluid out of my hair.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Start at the video - yes, but all it really says is - take it apart and put it back together. Duh...

No torques, no torque orders, no temperature specifications for proper fill, no, you don't need to lift the transmission, and their methodology for cutting the filter pipe is tragic.

I have lost my patience with AB, their customer service has fallen apart - total garbage for the last couple years, and so many errors in their videos...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72