Ford ESP Warranty now available for all LR3s still under warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Ford ESP warranty was $1900'ish for 6 or 7 yrs/100K miles. It is exclusionarry and basically covers everything just like the bumper to bumper warranty. It is on my 05 with 29k miles and one year left on OEM. When I got the actual contract, there were zero surprises, gotcha's, etc. Solid deal.

workingclass

Reaction score
Sounds like this is a good deal but is Ford ESP the same company as Ford Motor Company? If so what happens if ford go bankrupt?

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first I thought about Ford going bankrupt as well. However, who do you trust to weather the economic mess more, Ford or some other stand alone warranty provider? Keep in mind, ususally the warranty programs are part of the finanancial services biz, not the auto biz. Ford Financial Services may be in much different shape than Ford. For years, GMAC was the only the division making parent GM money.

Ford has testified that they think they will be profitable in 2010 or before IIRC. Either 09 or 10.

txAlfa

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with my local LR dealership. Here are the prices he quoted on my '05 LR3 with 35.7k miles (he did say there is a price line at 36k miles...he said it before i told him what my mileage is):

Additional
yrs / miles
2 / 24k - $1600
3 / 36k - $2200
4 / 48k - $2800

This is actually for the GMPP warranty. He explained that the owner of this LR dealership also owns some GM dealerships in town, so they can offer it. He said that it is about $1800 less than the LR (Assured) warranty, but he can sell both. He said that he had asked about the differences in the warranties and specifically in servicing the warranties and said that he would try to sell the more expensive one if there was more value in it, but found that there really was no difference. He described it as bumper-to-bumper, excluding normal wear, just like the regular warranty. He also said this dealership will waive the $100 deductible when you purchase it from them and service it there.

I asked if he would be willing to negotiate price with a group buy and he indicated he would probably only come down $100 as he feels he has cut the price a lot already...but when I mentioned this board was actively shopping, he definitely wanted me to come back and tell him if i found a significant price difference in what you all found and then we can compare to see if we are talking apples-to-apples.

Since I am only a few hundred miles from hitting the price line, I will probably need to pull the trigger on this in the next few days. Let me know if anyone is interested.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Ford ESP warranty was $1900'ish for 6 or 7 yrs/100K miles. It is exclusionarry and basically covers everything just like the bumper to bumper warranty. It is on my 05 with 29k miles and one year left on OEM. When I got the actual contract, there were zero surprises, gotcha's, etc. Solid deal.
I think Ford ESP increased the prices in November... your 6/100K (two more years, up to 100K) warranty would probably be ~$2400 from the same seller. And likely a few more hundred for a 7/100K, if available.

Last edited:

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let's get the actual contract from your GM guy. I'll read and highlight how it compares to others (I've read/sold several). Maybe we can get a group buy - GM costs less than the Ford guy, unless Sunlion returns ever with news from Houston.
Just to be clear, it's 2 or 3 years from expiration of the factory coverage, not from date of purchase?

txAlfa

Reaction score
Let's get the actual contract from your GM guy. I'll read and highlight how it compares to others (I've read/sold several). Maybe we can get a group buy - GM costs less than the Ford guy, unless Sunlion returns ever with news from Houston.
Just to be clear, it's 2 or 3 years from expiration of the factory coverage, not from date of purchase?

I'll give him a call and get a copy of the contract. I actually didn't clarify the time frame (from expiration vs. purchase) since mine is expiring in a couple of weeks, but I will ask when I call.

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
too little too late for me. When i purchased my used 05 in November of 05, the dealer represented on website all used have the certified 75k mile warranty and that is the reason I bought that one. Well dealer was quick to try and sell me a 6+k warranty when my 4/50k warranty was close to expiring. The dealer claims it isn't included as a "certified" and the ford ESP warranty wasn't covering them as they are doing now. Lesson learned!!

txAlfa

Reaction score
I finally received some info on the GM warranty. I'm actually a little surprised by some of the items excluded, maybe some of you can validate whether it is typical. This is just the brochure, but the guy at the dealership said that the actual contract is mailed to you after you sign it and that this brochure has the same extent of info as the paperwork that you sign. :hmmmm:

He emailed me a PDF which is too big to attach. I did a quick Google and found the exact same thing that you can download at http://dealer.gmacinsurance.com/dealer/en/brochure_frame.aspx?id=1569
(the image looks like it will be in Spanish, but it is not).

He also told me that the warranty time period starts at contract signing, not when your regular warranty expires. That doesn't really affect me, since mine is expiring now, but doesn't sound good for others that still have a good amount of time left on LR warranty.

Let me know what you all think.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72