Front brakes seizing (again)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Krill, the Brembos are pricy and that’s without labor! My days of doing that stuff are long gone. It remains an option since I have the 20 inch wheels.

LR Bedford left a message late Friday saying they’re replacing both wheels’ calipers and that the vehicle will be returned tomorrow (Monday). (We had our blizzard all day today so I missed out on that fun)

I guess I’ll never know why those calipers were freezing up. It makes no sense esp that both should fail.

Krill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think its got to deal with the salt they put on the roads. I live in Georgia but bought my LR 4 from a dealer in NY. everything underneath is rusted so the first time I had brake issues I just assumed it was from the salt(expecting it to be fixed by a good cleaning) maybe replacing the calipers with new ones(not Brembo) will be the fix

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe salt but the NE dealers claim this isn’t a known problem and I had the calipers cleaned and lubed in summertime and they still hung up. Also, there hasn’t been a large forum response with the same problem.

We’ll see. My car is due back in half an hour or so. I’m gonna take it to my indie and have him check to make sure they really did change the calipers. I know, I could look myself but if I get down on the garage floor it takes two people to get me upright again.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to see if they changed the calipers by looking at them through the outside of your wheels.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I just got vehicle back and saw new calipers thru wheels. Duuhh-sometimes my head gets in the way!

Can’t yet test drive it. It’s 1 degree and roads have an inch of snow still on them.

BeemerNut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can’t yet test drive it. It’s 1 degree and roads have an inch of snow still on them.[/QUOTE said:
Heck my friends 87 Yugo (joke of a automobile) must be a more capable vehicle than a LR4 as he drives in deeper than "an inch of snow" at times minus 10 to 15 degrees below zero Fahrenheit.
This in North Dakota a couple miles from the Canadian border.
Brakes are also not an issue as he can't get up to any speed requiring brakes to stop it.

Frank8

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Well, LR or no LR, when there’s a layer of snow and ice on the interstate I’m not gonna go 70+ to check out new brakes.

There’s a difference between “driving” and “driving to check brakes” that maybe Yugo owners in ND don’t realize.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV