Front Diff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I'm driving any speeds 10mph+ I hear a very faint hum coming from the front end area. Not necessarily a grinding or whining noise. It slows down its speed of the hum if I take my foot off the accelerator and gets fast if I increase the speed. I can't hear it with the windows down or with the radio/AC up high. It's also hard to notice over my Duratracs. I purchased used with around 80k miles. Does this sound like bearings going out in the differential?

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also be a hub bearing. Both fronts on mine started to go around the same mileage.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@colorover i was going to put that on the list of probabilities as well. I checked front diff for any signs of leakage to cause bearings to foul, but couldn't see anything notable.

Luckily, if it is front wheel hub assemblies, that's a lot cheaper than differential issues. My extended warranty covers mostly anything outside of drivetrain. Imagine that

colorover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ A tech at my dealership misdiagnosed mine at first as a front diff bearing. As I talked them into doing a rebuild v a replacement, I confirmed it wasn't the culprit. At around 100k, lots to start worrying ($$$) about... So far I have done both hubs, LCAs and tie rods. At some point upper control arms and rear arms and hubs will also need doing.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amazon Prime has the complete Timken hub assemblies for under $160 each. I agree that it all adds up, but, in the scheme of things, that isn't much for an LR4 part.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm ordering those Timken hubs. I couldn't find any exterior evidence around transfer case, drive shaft, or diff as far as seals being broken go

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't hurt to also change your diff fluid and look for excessive filings.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I'm ordering those Timken hubs. I couldn't find any exterior evidence around transfer case, drive shaft, or diff as far as seals being broken go
Hey man i just came across your post, did you ever figure what your noise was? I’m having the exact same symptoms to a tee. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put it on a lift, get all four wheels free and put it in gear running. Stethoscope all your concerns.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM