Front Differential Failure-51,000 Miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sweet. I guess the lesson is always have a warranty. I'm glad to hear they pulled through for you as they should.

racehorse

Reaction score
Hi guys, You know I actually asked my LR dealer about the differentials and whether it might be beneficial to replace the fluids and they told me they were sealed units and that was that. I'm curious if I'm missing something here? I have an 06 LR3 SE

AdvRide

Reaction score
Front and rear diffs are not sealed. Schedule states on the V8 LR3 for flush and fluid replacement at 100k miles.

I just took mine in for 60k mile service and had them flush and replace fluid on both front and rear after this front diff failure talk.

The tranfer case may be a different story. Not sure on that.

My rear diff was replaced at about 30k miles under warranty. It never failed but the computer told the tech that something was wrong with it. I have the rear locker and I think the electric motor was the culprit if I recall.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sealed is a relative term, but the maintenance service on the diff's is something silly, like 100,000 miles between services or something like that.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The feedback I got from the dealer was that the diff fluids are not root cause of diff failure-but then again-I don't think you're going to get too many dealers to admit to having problems beyond what LR officially issues as a tech bulletin or recall. It would take a private mechanic to verify and we do not have enough of those working on our trucks yet.

kcuddeback

Reaction score
This truely sucks-driving last Saturday AM to run some errands with the wife. Get on the highway doing about 65 then all of a sudden there is a loud noise much akin to a coffee mill-I was able to slow down, get to the next exist and into a gas station parking area. At this point, the truck was drivable but I did not want to cause any more damage, so onto the flatbed it went. Thankfully, my insurance covers the tow to my dealer. Dealer calls Monday AM and it's the front diff-$2100.00 + alignment. Fool that I was, my vehicle had been trouble free up unitl now so I did not get the extended LR warranty when I had the chance-now looking for aftermarket warranty options. I can put up with a few things going wrong here and there-but this is not right. I am hoping that this is the fluke that my dealer says it is. Probably have the truck in the shop all week-:hmpf:
I could have written this post. Save exact thing happened to me last night only I made it to 91K miles before it happened. Quoted same price to fix. Did you have any luck getting LR to help with the replacement. This doesn't seem to be an isolated problem.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could have written this post. Save exact thing happened to me last night only I made it to 91K miles before it happened. Quoted same price to fix. Did you have any luck getting LR to help with the replacement. This doesn't seem to be an isolated problem.

LR NA covered the cost but I was not that far out of warranty. My dealer recommended a fluid change on both front and rear when I had my 60K service done. I have 80K on the truck now and everything has been fine.

Trynian

Reaction score
Both my front and rear diff seals started leaking at about 65k miles. both seals replaced under extended warranty. My service guy says they are to be fliud replaced at 75k normally.

The rear diff continued to leak and it became obvious that the leak was caused by a bearing that was not seated right at the factory. So the rear diff ended up being also replaced.

Front is working fine.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced both front and rear diffs. Then for good measure, 1100 miles later, replaced the fluid in both diffs. I will replace the oil every 15k from here on out, which figures to be every 2 years. It's cheap insurance for $200, and I wheel it a lot so I figure it would be prudent to service it more often.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635