Front Differential Failure-51,000 Miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Front Differential Failure-51,000 Miles-UPDATE!

This truely sucks-driving last Saturday AM to run some errands with the wife. Get on the highway doing about 65 then all of a sudden there is a loud noise much akin to a coffee mill-I was able to slow down, get to the next exist and into a gas station parking area. At this point, the truck was drivable but I did not want to cause any more damage, so onto the flatbed it went. Thankfully, my insurance covers the tow to my dealer. Dealer calls Monday AM and it's the front diff-$2100.00 + alignment. Fool that I was, my vehicle had been trouble free up unitl now so I did not get the extended LR warranty when I had the chance-now looking for aftermarket warranty options. I can put up with a few things going wrong here and there-but this is not right. I am hoping that this is the fluke that my dealer says it is. Probably have the truck in the shop all week-:hmpf:

Last edited:

KyRover

Reaction score
+1

Our D2's engine locked up at 56000 miles and our dealer got Land Rover to cover part of the cost for a new engine. Good luck.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that is the first front diff failure I have ever heard of. Very sorry to hear that it happended off warranty. Lobby hard to have LR at least share on this one. Maybe try to swing it in your favor of getting a newer LR3 (under warranty) at a discount from your dealer?

txAlfa

Reaction score
Maybe try to swing it in your favor of getting a newer LR3 (under warranty) at a discount from your dealer?

Selling a newer LR3? They'll probably start salivating with the way sales have been going.

franklin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. Believe it or not, my dealer has been pretty good but I will not get anywhere with them on this-already tried. I am going to call LR NA regardless. As far as a newer model is concerned, this vehicle is mine so I have all the money into it already-trading for a new one just means more money out of pocket. I am picking the truck up on Friday and will check out aftermarket warranties while I am there.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 1 in 10 times LRNA actually helped me was when I needed my valves redone at 51or 52k miles on an old RR. They agreed to cover 1/2, which was better than nothing. Of course, later I found that the valve tolerances were way to tight anyway, and that a good top engine clean would have probably fixed it...but they DID help once. Good Luck!

p.s. Downside was that after fixing it, $10k more worth of problems popped up in the next 5000 miles.

dantheman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I remember correctly, the recall was for the FFRR's that had the BMW derived V8, which wouldn't apply to the LR3. The LR3 actually got its jag sourced V8 (with newer driveshafts) 1 year before they put it in the Rangie. I remember reading about rear diffs going bad over at disco3.co.uk, but this is the first i've heard of the front. Hang in there though, the Lr3 is like the fat brutish looking girl that no one liked in high school, until she grew up, got in shape, wrote a revolutionary scientific paper, and won tons of awards. Now, everyone wants to sleep with her... well, kind of. Good luck with LRNA!

jrgreen5859

Reaction score
We had our rear go at 60k miles and the front go at 90k miles, ours is an 05 HSE that we bought right after xmas in 05, so it is all highway miles.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM