Fuel Tank Breather Tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mark

Reaction score
I have been having trouble putting fuel in the tank, not that I am a dork or anything, nor am I having a problem finding the hole. The fuel just will not go in. I always top off the tank on Sunday, using the same pump at approximately the same time. The last time I went to fill, I had not gone beyond a 1/4 of a tank and thought it would be okay to put 6-8 gallons back in and be done for the week.

Tonight, I opened the gas cap, and pulled the plugs connections to the charcoal filter (evaporative filter) for two hours and still could not top off the tank.

Any suggestions?

98Disco

Reaction score
It sounds like you might have a problem with the vent system. I have had the same issue on my 98 DI when i try to squeeze in a bit more fuel after the pump shuts off.

There is a tech bulletin for this problem for replaceing the fuel tank trickle valve. Its too large of a file to upload here tho.

Mark

Reaction score
** Update **

Well, time either has been my friend or I did something on purpose. Well, actually, I did something on purpose.

I opened the gas cap and probed a long wire down the two vents to feel if something is down there. For instance, I have not found a diagram that really shows how the vent tubes are constructed. The top Vent received the wire rather easy. The bottom vent hit something. I wish I knew what it hit. After a couple of insertions, I no longer was 'catching' anything. Probably my imagination.

While the cap was off, I crawled underneath and disconnected the tube from the vent and the fuel tank. Went to the garage and proceeded to fill the tube with spray seafoam. I tried to get the seafoam to go all the way through. Then I took the wire and shoved it through, at least until it bound in the wrap. Again, filling with seafoam, it would not pass through. How is this constructed?

So, I reassembled and went to the gas station and it filled up.

Chance, purpose, or am I spooking myself.
Or did time help me?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4